Chen Music: Lefty terrific in O's win over A'sApr 27, 2013 - 6:40 AM
Chen (2-2) scattered two hits and two walks while striking out five to earn his second straight win. Jim Johnson then stranded a runner in the ninth to pick up his AL-leading ninth save. He is now tied with Pittsburgh closer Jason Grilli for the most saves in the majors.
"(Chen) only had two or three three-ball counts all night. He had good command of his fastball all night on both sides of the plate. He was the difference maker," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said.
Steve Pearce, Nate McLouth and Nick Markakis each drove in a run for the Orioles, winners in seven of their last nine games.
Oakland starter Tommy Milone (3-2) allowed just one unearned run over 6 2/3 innings to absorb the loss. He allowed six hits and struck out five in his second setback in as many starts.
"I have high expectations for myself. Outings like this are what I'm looking for every time out," Milone said.
The O's broke a scoreless tie in the seventh as Pearce drove home J.J. Hardy with a base hit up the middle. Hardy opened the frame with a single to right. Oakland right fielder Josh Reddick bobbled the ball and Hardy took second before coming around on Pearce's base hit.
Baltimore added two more in the ninth inning. With the bases loaded, McLouth, in a pinch-hitting role, ripped a grounder to second baseman Jed Lowrie, who couldn't handle the sharply hit ball and Hardy scored from third. Markakis added a sacrifice fly to left to score Chris Dickerson.
Baltimore went just 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Oakland, which leads the majors in runs, was shut out for the third time this season ... The A's are just 4-9 since winning nine straight games earlier this season.
- BALTIMORE: 3
Apr 27 12:56 AM
- Nick Markakis sacrifice fly to left scored pinch-runner Chris Dickerson with two out. Runners on first and second and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 0 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 27 12:48 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Nate McLouth reached first on Jed Lowrie's fielding error on a force attempt scoring J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Steve Pearce advances to second and Chris Dickerson advances to third. Bases loaded and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 0 Top 9, 1 OutApr 27 12:46 AM
- Steve Pearce single to center scored J.J. Hardy with one out. Runner on first and Alexi Casilla due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 0 Top 7, 1 OutApr 26 11:53 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 10:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21