Angels power past MarinersApr 27, 2013 - 7:36 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo and Hank Conger each cranked two- run home runs as the LA Angels of Anaheim took the second test of a four-game series with the Seattle Mariners with a 6-3 win on Friday night.
Albert Pujols added two RBI and Peter Bourjos had two runs scored for the Angels, who won only their third road game in 10 tries this season and snapped a two-game losing streak.
C.J. Wilson (2-0) scattered three runs and seven hits while striking out a season-high nine Mariners in 5 1/3 innings of work.
"C.J., at times he was electric tonight, and at times, it was rough. You have a 5-run lead, and he was having trouble getting the ball into the zone and putting some hitters away," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Kelly Shoppach and Robert Andino each had two hits for Seattle, which lost for the sixth time in eight games. Aaron Harang (0-3) lasted just three innings, yielding five earned runs and six hits.
"I love the way our guys fought tonight," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "When you get down early like that it can be easy for the game to get away."
Bourjos and Mike Trout led off the game with singles. Pujols followed with his first of two sacrifice flies on the evening, giving the Angels an early edge.
Conger and Trumbo hit their two-run shots in the second and third innings, respectively, to put the Angels ahead 5-0 after three.
Seattle got on the board with a run in the fourth inning. Kyle Seager and Kendrys Morales each singled and Michael Morse walked to load the bases with no outs. Wilson responded by striking out Justin Smoak but hit Shoppach, forcing in a run.
Andino and Endy Chavez then struck out as well, however, ending the threat.
The Mariners added two more runs in the sixth after once again opening the frame with two hits, a Shoppach single and an Andino double. Chavez hit a sacrifice fly to center to plate Shoppach and advance Andino to third.
Wilson was then lifted for Sean Burnett, who allowed a Brendan Ryan sacrifice bunt that scored Andino. Burnett walked Jason Bay to continue the inning, but forced Seager to fly out to center to get out of the jam.
Pujols' second sac fly put the Angels up 6-3 in the top of the seventh.
With two outs in the seventh inning, Seattle put two on for Dustin Ackley, who was brought in to pinch hit for Andino. On a 2-2 count, Ackley hit a sharp ground ball to the right side that Howie Kendrick dove and knocked down, but was unable to maintain possession. Smoak broke for home on the play, but Kendrick recovered and gunned him down at the plate.
Ernesto Frieri overcame a Trout error and a walk in the ninth for his third save of the season.
Seattle went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position ... Yoervis Medina pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings in relief for the Mariners ... The Angels left 13 men on base and were just 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Apr 27 1:44 AM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to right scored Peter Bourjos with one out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 6, Mariners 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 27 12:37 AM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice bunt to first scored Robert Andino with two out. None on and Jason Bay due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 27 12:22 AM
- Endy Chavez sacrifice fly to center scored Kelly Shoppach with one out. On the play, Robert Andino advances to third. Runner on third and Brendan Ryan due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 2 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 27 12:18 AM
- Kelly Shoppach hit-by-pitch scored Kyle Seager with one out. Bases loaded and Robert Andino due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 26 11:25 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Josh Hamilton. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 5, Mariners 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 26 10:50 PM
- Hank Conger one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Brendan Harris. Luis Jimenez due up.
Angels 3, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 26 10:31 PM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to center scored Peter Bourjos with one out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 26 10:15 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21