Four-run fourth helps Orioles cruise past A'sApr 28, 2013 - 3:34 AM
Nate McLouth went 3-for-5 with a home run and two RBI, while Chris Davis and J.J. Hardy added one RBI apiece for the Orioles, who will go for the four-game sweep on Sunday.
"We have struggled here, but it is a good way to start a road trip, winning the first three games of the series, and hopefully we'll get the sweep (Sunday)," Markakis said.
Chris Tillman (1-1) gave up two runs on seven hits while striking out seven over six frames. Jim Johnson battled out of a bases-loaded jam in the ninth to earn his 10th save of the season.
Josh Donaldson went 4-for-4 with two doubles and two RBI and Josh Reddick drove in a run for the A's, losers in eight of their last nine games.
A.J. Griffin (2-2) was tagged for four runs on five hits while striking out seven over seven frames to absorb the loss.
Oakland scored a run in both the second and third innings to take a 2-0 lead. Brandon Moss opened the second with a base hit to left field before scoring on Donaldson's double down the left field line.
Donaldson delivered again in the third. With Seth Smith on second, Donaldson roped a grounder up the middle. The ball bounced off the left foot of Tillman and into shallow right field. John Flaherty fielded the ball cleanly and fired home, but Smith was able to beat the throw.
Baltimore answered with a four-run fourth inning to take the lead. Manny Machado worked a lead off walk and Markakis and Jones followed with back-to- back homers to put the O's ahead. Hardy's RBI single to center made it 4-2.
"Griffin pitched well pretty much every inning but one. When you give up four runs in one inning its going to cost you. it shouldn't, but we're not putting up runs right now," Melvin said.
The O's added two more runs in the eighth. McLouth opened the frame with a homer and Davis scored Machado with a sacrifice fly to right to make it 6-2.
Oakland got one back in the home half as Moss scored on Reddick's sacrifice fly to center.
McLouth's RBI single in the ninth gave Baltimore a 7-3 lead.
Pedro Strop put the first two runners on in the home half after hitting Adam Rosales with a pitch and walking Coco Crisp, and was quickly replaced by Johnson.
Johnson gave up a single to John Jaso to load the bases. Smith flew out to left field, but it wasn't deep enough to get Rosales home, and Johnson was able to get Jed Lowrie to ground into a game-ending double play.
Over 14 innings pitched this season, Johnson has allowed just one earned run.
Davis has 25 RBI this season ... Baltimore was 2-for-6 with runners in scoring position and the A's were 2-for-14 ... Oakland is just 4-10 since winning nine straight earlier this season.
- BALTIMORE: 7
Apr 27 7:09 PM
- Nate McLouth singled to center scoring Ryan Flaherty with two out. Runner on first and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 7, Athletics 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 27 6:53 PM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly out to center scored Brandon Moss with two out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Young due up.
Orioles 6, Athletics 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 27 6:40 PM
- Chris Davis sacrifice fly out to right scored Manny Machado with two out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runner on third and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 6, Athletics 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 27 6:28 PM
- Nate McLouth lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 5, Athletics 2 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 27 6:20 PM
- J.J. Hardy singled to center scoreing Chris Davis with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 27 5:19 PM
- Adam Jones none-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 27 5:15 PM
- Nick Markakis none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Manny Machado. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 27 5:13 PM
- Josh Donaldson singled to second scoring Seth Smith with two out. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Reddick due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 5:06 PM
- Josh Donaldson doubled to left scoring Brandon Moss with none out. Runner on second and Josh Reddick due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 27 4:35 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 4:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21