A's rally to top Orioles in 10 inningsApr 29, 2013 - 1:34 AM
Sogard singled, then moved to third on Adam Rosales' sacrifice bunt. Rosales bunted the ball right back to reliever Pedro Strop (0-1) for what appeared to be a tailor-made double play, but Strop threw the ball into center field.
With runners now on second and third, Coco Crisp pushed a bunt down the third- base line. Orioles third baseman Manny Machado fielded the ball cleanly, but his throw sailed into left field to allow Sogard to score.
The A's trailed 8-6 with one out in the ninth, but Yoenis Cespedes clobbered a two-run homer into the second deck in left field to tie the game. Cespedes was activated from the 15-day disabled list earlier on Sunday.
Cespedes finished the game 2-for-5 with two runs scored. Seth Smith hit a two- run homer and drove in three and Josh Donaldson added a two-run double for the A's, who had dropped eight of their last nine games.
"We just needed to win," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "We needed to fight, and we needed to claw back and do something good and win a game more than anything."
Jerry Blevins (1-0) earned the win after tossing a perfect 10th inning. Starter Bartolo Colon was tagged for five run on nine hits over six innings.
Chris Davis finished 2-for-4 with homer and three RBI, Manny Machado went 4- for-5 and drove in two runs and Davis finished 2-for-4 with three RBI. Adam Jones added two hits and a pair of RBI for the Orioles, who had won 103 straight games when leading after the seventh inning entering the game. Nate McLouth went 4-for-5 with four runs scored in the setback.
"I think we have to be happy with the way we swung the bats (in the series)," Davis said. "Obviously the last game, they battled back and Cespedes hit a ridiculous home run."
Baltimore got things started with a four-run fourth inning. With the bases loaded, Jones singled to right field to score McLouth. Davis followed with a two-run double, and Matt Wieters added a sacrifice fly to give the O's a 4-0 edge.
Jones' RBI double in the fifth pushed the Baltimore spread to 5-0, but the A's plated four runs in the sixth pull within a run.
Coco Crisp scored Rosales with a base hit to center before scoring on a Smith ground out. After Cespedes singled and Brandon Moss walked to load the bases, Donaldson roped a two-run double to left field.
Machado's RBI base hit made it 6-4, but Smith tied the game with a two-run blast in the home half.
Davis' ninth homer of the season put the O's on top in the eighth, before Cespedes tied the game with one out in the bottom of the ninth.
Oakland is 14-12 in April with two games remaining. The A's have finished the month of April with a winning record just once over the previous nine years (16-11 in 2008) ... Davis has 28 homers this season ... Baltimore's last loss when leading after seven inning was Aug. 8, 2011 ... Orioles starter Miguel Gonzalez gave up four runs on seven hits over 5 1/3 innings.
- BALTIMORE: 8
Apr 28 7:36 PM
- Coco Crisp sacrificed, reached first on Manny Machado's throwing error scored Eric Sogard with none out to end the game.
Orioles 8, Athletics 9 Bot 10, 0 OutsApr 28 7:34 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Derek Norris. Brandon Moss due up.
Orioles 8, Athletics 8 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 28 7:10 PM
- Manny Machado double to center scored Nate McLouth with one out. Runner on second and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 8, Athletics 6 Top 9, 1 OutApr 28 6:57 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 7, Athletics 6 Top 8, 1 OutApr 28 6:38 PM
- Seth Smith one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Coco Crisp. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Orioles 6, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 28 6:21 PM
- Manny Machado single to center scored Nate McLouth with two out. Runner on first and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 6, Athletics 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 28 6:08 PM
- Josh Donaldson double to left scored Seth Smith and Yoenis Cespedes with one out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Young due up.
Orioles 5, Athletics 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 28 5:56 PM
- Seth Smith grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Coco Crisp with one out. On the play, John Jaso out at second. Runner on first and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Orioles 5, Athletics 2 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 28 5:43 PM
- Coco Crisp double to center scored Adam Rosales with none out. Runner on second and John Jaso due up.
Orioles 5, Athletics 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 28 5:37 PM
- Adam Jones double to left scored Nate McLouth with two out. On the play, Manny Machado out at home, left to second to catcher to end the inning.
Orioles 5, Athletics 0 Mid 5Apr 28 5:20 PM
- Matt Wieters sacrifice fly to left scored Adam Jones with one out. Runner on second and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 28 4:58 PM
- Chris Davis double to right scored Manny Machado and Nick Markakis with none out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 28 4:57 PM
- Adam Jones single to right scored Nate McLouth with none out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to second and Manny Machado advances to third. Bases loaded and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 28 4:56 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 4:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21