Moss' 2nd HR lifts A's over Halos in 19 inningsApr 30, 2013 - 11:39 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Brandon Moss' two-run homer in the bottom of the 19th inning lifted the Oakland Athletics to a 10-8 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the opener of a three-game set.
Seth Smith worked a leadoff walk against Barry Enright (0-1) and Moss smacked a no-doubt shot over the wall in right-center two batters later for Oakland's third walk-off victory of the year in its longest game in franchise history.
"That was exhausting," said Moss, who also homered in the sixth inning and finished 3-for-8 in the 6 1/2 hour marathon.
Jerry Blevins (2-0) worked 1 2/3 innings of shutout ball to earn the win.
The Angels' J.B. Shuck worked a bases-loaded walk in the top of the 15th, but Adam Rosales' RBI single in the home half knotted the game at 8-8.
Josh Donaldson drove in two for the Athletics, who won their second straight in extra innings. Oakland went just 10 innings to beat Baltimore on Sunday.
Albert Pujols had two home runs, three RBI and three runs scored, while Mark Trumbo hit a solo home run and drove in three for the Angels, who have lost six of eight.
Pujols drove a 1-0 pitch over the wall in left with two outs in the first, and Trumbo led off the second with his fourth homer of the year as the Angels grabbed a 2-0 lead.
Oakland got a run back in the fourth on John Jaso's single that plated Donaldson, but the Angels padded their lead with a big fifth inning.
With one out, Luis Jimenez beat out an infield single, Peter Bourjos was hit by a pitch and Mike Trout singled to load the bags. Pujols then brought in one with a single, Josh Hamilton followed with a sac fly and Trumbo made it a 6-1 game with a two-run double.
Moss hit a solo home run in the sixth, but Pujols smacked his second of the game in the seventh for a 7-2 advantage.
The A's got back into the game with a four-run eighth. The first three batters of the inning singled, with Jed Lowrie's base hit scoring one and bringing Dane De La Rossa to the mound. After loading the bases, Moss hit into a 3-2 forceout, but Donaldson followed with a two-run single to center.
Derek Norris then struck out and Scott Downs took the mound to face Chris Young, who made it a 7-6 game with a single up the middle.
Closer Ernesto Frieri then took the mound and got Rosales to fly out and end the frame.
He couldn't close the game out, though, as Coco Crisp drew a leadoff walk in the ninth, moved to second on a fly out by Smith, stole third and scored on a two-out single by Yoenis Cespedes high off the left-center wall.
Oakland swept a three-game set in Anaheim earlier in April ... A's starter Dan Straily was touched for six runs on seven hits with a walk and six strikeouts over 4 2/3 frames ... Angels starter Tommy Hanson gave up two runs on five hits with a walk and six strikeouts over six innings of work ... Bourjos exited the contest in the 11th inning after pulling up lame with an apparent left hamstring injury at first base following a bunt attempt.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Apr 30 4:44 AM
- Brandon Moss two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (4) to right scored Jed Lowrie to win the game.
Angels 8, Athletics 10 Bot 19, 2 OutsApr 30 4:42 AM
- Adam Rosales single to center scored Derek Norris with two outs. Rosales advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Nate Freiman due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 8 Bot 15, 2 OutsApr 30 3:25 AM
- J.B. Shuck bases loaded walk scored Brendan Harris with two outs. Bases loaded and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 7 Top 15, 2 OutsApr 30 3:16 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to left center scored Coco Crisp with two outs. Runner on first and Brandon Moss due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 30 1:38 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Young single to center scored Brandon Moss with two outs. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Rosales due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 30 1:02 AM
- Josh Donaldson single to center scored Jed Lowrie and Yoenis Cespedes with one out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to second. Runners on first and second and Derek Norris due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 30 12:55 AM
- Jed Lowrie single to left scored Coco Crisp with none out. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 30 12:48 AM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run 2 (4) to left. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 30 12:21 AM
- Brandon Moss two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Josh Donaldson due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 30 12:14 AM
- Mark Trumbo double to left scored Mike Trout and Albert Pujols with two outs. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 29 11:47 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly to left scored Peter Bourjos with two outs. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second and Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 29 11:44 PM
- Albert Pujols single to left center scored Luis Jimenez with one out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second and Peter Bourjos advances to third. Bases loaded and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 29 11:43 PM
- John Jaso single to center, deflected by the second baseman, scored Josh Donaldson with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 29 11:26 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 29 10:30 PM
- Albert Pujols two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 29 10:11 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22