Cespedes, A's down AngelsMay 1, 2013 - 7:19 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Yoenis Cespedes went 2-for-4 with four RBI while Seth Smith added a three-run double to lead the Oakland Athletics to another win over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, 10-6, in the second portion of a three-games series.
The A's have won three in a row following a 1-8 stretch, including a 19-inning marathon on Monday that lasted six hours, 32 minutes.
Tuesday's meeting was two hours, 53 minutes shorter, but the outcome wound up being the same as each of five matchups between these AL West rivals this season -- all Oakland victories.
Jarrod Parker (1-4) earned his first win of the season after allowing four runs -- three earned -- on six hits over six-plus innings, while Garrett Richards (1-2) was shelled for seven runs on eight hits in 5 2/3 frames to take the loss.
"It looked like he was aggressive right away," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Parker. "Hopefully we can get on a roll here in a couple outings and get him past a little bit of a tough time."
Mike Trout powered the Angels' offense with a double, a triple and four RBI, but the club fell for the sixth time in its last seven games.
"We've got to find a way to get leads, hold leads and win games even when you're not as deep as you need to be," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "I tell you one thing right now, no one is going to feel sorry for you."
Two Oakland errors in the third inning allowed J.B. Shuck to score, but the A's answered with two runs in the fourth as Cespedes doubled in Smith and scored on a wild pitch.
Trout's double down the third-base line plated Shuck and Erick Aybar in the fifth, but Oakland quickly responded again in the bottom half. John Jaso's flare bounced just inside the left-field line to knock in Derek Norris with the tying run, and, after Adam Rosales worked a walk, Cespedes tripled high off the wall in center to bring in a pair.
In the top of the sixth, Hank Conger was tagged out in a rundown after Brendan Harris grounded back to the pitcher, and a four-spot in the home half padded Oakland's lead.
Richards was pulled with two on and two out, and Nick Maronde walked Jaso to load the bases. Norris raced home on a wild pitch with Rosales at the plate, and after an intentional walk, Smith greeted Barry Enright with a bases- clearing double for a 9-3 cushion.
Trout kept the Angels in striking distance when he tripled in a run and scored on Albert Pujols' groundout in the seventh. Mark Trumbo followed with a solo homer to pull the visitors within 9-6, but that's as close as the Angels got.
Cespedes' sacrifice fly in the eighth accounted for the final score.
The Athletics are 5-0 against the Angels for the first time since 1990 ... Before the game, the Angels placed outfielder Peter Bourjos on the 15-day disabled list with a left hamstring strain and activated Aybar from the DL ... The A's go for the sweep Wednesday afternoon with Tommy Milone squaring off against fellow lefty C.J. Wilson.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
May 1 1:48 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes sacrifice fly to right scored Eric Sogard. On the play, John Jaso advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Moss due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 1 1:32 AM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 9 Top 7, 1 OutMay 1 12:53 AM
- Albert Pujols ground out second to first scored Mike Trout. None on with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 9 Top 7, 1 OutMay 1 12:52 AM
- Mike Trout triple to right scored Erick Aybar. Runner on third with none out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 9 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 1 12:50 AM
- Seth Smith triple to right scored Eric Sogard, John Jaso and Adam Rosales. Runner on third with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 1 12:40 AM
- Nick Maronde's wild pitch scored Derek Norris. On the play, John Jaso advances to second and Eric Sogard advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with two outs and Adam Rosales at the plate.
Angels 3, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 1 12:32 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes triple to center scored John Jaso and Adam Rosales. Runner on third with two outs and Brandon Moss due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 30 11:59 PM
- John Jaso double to left scored Derek Norris. Runner on second with one out and Adam Rosales due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 30 11:53 PM
- Mike Trout double to left scored J.B. Shuck and Erick Aybar. Runner on second with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 30 11:36 PM
- Garrett Richards's wild pitch scored Yoenis Cespedes. None on with none out and Brandon Moss at the plate.
Angels 1, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 30 11:20 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes double to right scored Seth Smith. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to third. Runner on third with none out and Brandon Moss due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 30 11:17 PM
- Mike Trout reached first on Adam Rosales's throwing error scoring J.B. Shuck. Runner on first with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 30 10:50 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 30 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22