Garcia shines in debut, O's top Angels in extrasMay 5, 2013 - 4:01 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Freddy Garcia took a no-hit bid into the seventh inning in his first start of 2013, and Steve Pearce's RBI single in the top of the 10th inning lifted the Baltimore Orioles to a 5-4 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim at Angel Stadium.
Adam Jones led off the tenth with a single off Garrett Richards (1-3) and was replaced at first base by Nolan Reimold after a fielder's choice. J.J. Hardy advanced Reimold to second on a groundout, which brought Pearce to the plate to deliver the decisive blow.
Jim Johnson then retired the Angels in order in the bottom of the 10th for his 11th save in as many tries.
Garcia, who was making his first start of 2013 after being called up from the minors earlier in the day, retired 17 of the first 18 batters he faced before giving up two runs on three hits in the seventh inning. He struck out two and walked one in 6 2/3 innings of work.
"I had to make it happen today, I was able to throw a lot of first pitch strikes and use my sinker," said Garcia. "I did my job and the guys made good plays behind me. We won as a team today."
Tommy Hunter (1-1) pitched a scoreless top of the ninth to earn the win.
Manny Machado, Hardy and Reimold all homered for the O's, who have taken two of the first three games in this series heading into Sunday's finale. Pearce finished 3-for-4, while Jones swiped two bags in the triumph.
"We had three solo homers today, and Freddy was able to keep hitters off balance," said Hardy. "They battled back, but we were able to score in the 10th."
The Angels finally got to Garcia, who yielded only a second-inning walk to Mark Trumbo over the first six frames, in the seventh. Erick Aybar broke up the no-hitter with a single to center, and Trumbo belted his fifth home run in his last six games to cut Baltimore's lead to 4-2.
Still down by two entering the bottom of the eighth, Hank Conger led off with a bunt single for Anaheim and Scott Cousins, pinch-hitting for Chris Iannetta, then walked. Both runners advanced on a sacrifice, and Conger scored on Aybar's RBI groundout to second.
Mike Trout then came through with an infield single to tie the score and force extras, as neither team was able to put a run across in the ninth.
"I think its encouraging that even though we are struggling right now, we're fighting towards the end, we're fighting in those later innings to try and get anything going," said Conger.
Machado and Hardy both went deep in the first and second innings, respectively. Each were solo shots off Angels starter Tommy Hanson, who allowed three runs on seven hits in five innings.
Reimold plated Machado with the O's third run with a sacrifice fly to left field in the fifth, and his homer two innings later gave Baltimore a 4-0 cushion that they ultimately were unable to maintain.
Garcia made five starts for Triple-A Norfolk earlier this season before getting called up to the majors ... Baltimore went just 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Angels closer Ernesto Frieri struck out the side in the ninth.
- BALTIMORE: 5
LOS ANGELES: 4
May 4 7:51 PM
- Steve Pearce single to right scored Nolan Reimold with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Orioles 5, Angels 4 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 4 7:41 PM
- Mike Trout single to right scored Scott Cousins with two out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 4 7:02 PM
- Erick Aybar ground out second to first scored Hank Conger with two out. On the play, Scott Cousins advances to third. Runner on third and Mike Trout due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 4 6:59 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Erick Aybar. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 4 6:26 PM
- Nolan Reimold two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 4 6:15 PM
- Nolan Reimold sacrifice fly to left scored Manny Machado with two out. Runner on second and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 5:38 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Steve Pearce due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 4 4:28 PM
- Manny Machado one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 4 4:11 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 4:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20