Yanks pound RoyalsMay 11, 2013 - 4:44 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Lyle Overbay went 4-for-5 with a homer and five RBI to lead a 16-hit outburst that carried the New York Yankees to an 11-6 victory over the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium.
Overbay finished a triple shy of the cycle, while Ichiro Suzuki finished 3- for-5 with a two-run homer and three runs scored to help Joe Girardi obtain his 500th win as the Yankees' manager.
New York, which entered Friday's opener of this three-game series off back-to- back triumphs in Colorado, also received two hits and a pair of RBI from Chris Nelson, with Jayson Nix ending 2-for-3 with three runs scored in the rout.
"I've been blessed to have this opportunity," said Girardi afterward. "[Former owner George] Steinbrenner and [general manager Brian Cashman] trusted me and put me in this position. I'm fortunate. It's a challenge to dream about playing in the big leagues and I don't know if you dream about managing. But as I got older, it was something I really wanted to do."
Phil Hughes (2-2) benefited from the Yankees' heavy run support, earning the decision despite permitting six runs over the first 5 2/3 innings.
Royals starter Wade Davis (2-3) was hit hard as well, surrendering seven runs on seven hits in five-plus innings of work.
Jarrod Dyson had a three-run homer for Kansas City and Alex Gordon went 2- for-4 with two RBI in the loss, the Royals' fourth in five games.
Hughes squandered an early 4-0 lead before being bailed out by the Yankees' bats, with the Bronx Bombers pounding Kansas City pitching for five runs on six hits during a big fifth inning that began with the scored tied at 5-5.
Suzuki started things off with a leadoff double and Nix singled to chase Davis before Overbay greeted Bruce Chen with a tie-breaking double into the right center-field gap. Nelson then sliced a base hit that brought in both runners and staked the Yankees to an 8-5 advantage.
Two batters later, Brett Gardner ripped a triple to left center to plate Nelson, with Robinson Cano capping the five-run barrage with a single that made the score 10-5.
The Royals got a run back when Mike Moustakas took Hughes over the wall in the bottom of the sixth, but failed to get a hit against the bullpen combo of Shawn Kelley and Boone Logan over the final 3 1/3 innings.
Overbay capped his huge night with a ninth-inning single that knocked in Suzuki, who led off with a single and stole second to move into scoring position.
Suzuki followed a walk to Travis Hafner with a line drive into the Kansas City bullpen that put the Yankees up 2-0 in the second. After Nix doubled, Overbay crushed Davis' 3-1 pitch into the seats to create a four-run differential.
"The walks didn't help," said Davis. "I left a couple pitches up to some big hitters and they hit it out of the ballpark. That's what they're supposed to do."
Kansas City closed the gap on Dyson's second career major league homer, a two- out blast in the bottom of the frame that came with Eric Hosmer and Salvador Perez aboard.
Overbay doubled home Nix in the fourth to give New York a 5-3 edge, with the Royals pulling even against a shaky Hughes an inning later. Consecutive singles by Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain set the stage for Gordon, whose deep opposite-field double knocked in both runners.
Girardi became the seventh Yankee skipper to reach the 500-win mark and the fifth fastest to do so. He achieved the feat in 844 games, one less than Billy Martin and 11 more than predecessor Joe Torre ... Dyson's only other homer in the majors came at Kauffman Stadium against Minnesota on Sept. 27, 2010 ... Suzuki is a .377 (89-for-236) lifetime hitter at Kauffman Stadium ... Gordon is batting .370 (10-for-27) with three homers and nine RBI during a six-game hitting streak.
- NEW YORK: 11
KANSAS CITY: 6
May 10 11:18 PM
- Lyle Overbay singled to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. Runner on first with one out and Chris Nelson due up.
Yankees 11, Royals 6 Top 9, 1 OutMay 10 11:04 PM
- Mike Moustakas one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Elliot Johnson due up.
Yankees 10, Royals 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 10 10:13 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to left scored Brett Gardner. Runner on first with one out and Vernon Wells due up.
Yankees 10, Royals 5 Top 6, 1 OutMay 10 10:03 PM
- Brett Gardner tripled to center scored Chris Stewart. Runner on third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 9, Royals 5 Top 6, 1 OutMay 10 10:01 PM
- Chris Nelson singled to right scored Jayson Nix and Lyle Overbay. Runner on first with none out and Chris Stewart due up.
Yankees 8, Royals 5 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 10 9:59 PM
- Lyle Overbay doubled to right scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Jayson Nix advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Chris Nelson due up.
Yankees 6, Royals 5 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 10 9:58 PM
- Alex Gordon doubled to left scored Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain. Runner on second with one out and Billy Butler due up.
Yankees 5, Royals 5 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 10 9:46 PM
- Lyle Overbay doubled to center scored Jayson Nix. Runner on second with one out and Chris Nelson due up.
Yankees 5, Royals 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:16 PM
- Jarrod Dyson two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Eric Hosmer and Salvador Perez. Alcides Escobar due up.
Yankees 4, Royals 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 10 8:52 PM
- Lyle Overbay none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Jayson Nix. Chris Nelson due up.
Yankees 4, Royals 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 10 8:33 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Travis Hafner. Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 2, Royals 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 10 8:29 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 8:11 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21