Roberts, Rays down PadresMay 11, 2013 - 7:20 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Ryan Roberts' go-ahead two-run single was part of a four-run seventh inning that lifted the Tampa Rays to a 6-3 win over the San Diego Padres in the opener of a three-game interleague set.
Matt Joyce tallied two hits and scored twice for Tampa Bay, which plated six unanswered runs.
Rays starter Alex Cobb struck out 13 batters, but lasted just 4 2/3 innings after surrendering three runs on five hits and two walks. Jake McGee (1-2) tossed a scoreless seventh to pick up the win.
Will Venable and Carlos Quentin smacked solo homers for the Padres, who had their four-game winning streak snapped.
The Rays trailed 3-2 after six innings, but surged ahead in the seventh.
Jose Lobaton led off the inning with a single and Yunel Escobar reached when Dale Thayer (0-2) fielded his sacrifice bunt and committed a throwing error to first. Joyce's base hit then loaded the bases before Roberts lined a single to left to bring home Lobaton and Escobar.
"After getting down 0-2, the main thing is to just try to make contact," Roberts said. "Bases loaded, nobody out. All you want to do is put the ball in play, at least tie the game if you can. That's basically it. I'm not trying to do too much."
Ben Zobrist pushed across Joyce and Roberts with a ground-ball base hit up the middle to give Tampa Bay a 6-3 lead.
"We just didn't play well that inning," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Joel Peralta tossed a scoreless eighth for Tampa Bay and Fernando Rodney worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth to notch his fifth save of the year.
The Padres opened the scoring with a pair of solo homers in the first and plated another run in the third.
Venable ripped a one-out shot just over the wall in right and Quentin stepped up two batters later and hooked the eighth pitch of his at-bat down the left- field line for a 2-0 lead. Venable led off the third and struck out swinging, but reached first on a wild pitch. He stole second and third before scoring on a balk to make it 3-0.
The Rays responded and pushed across two runs in the home half. Evan Longoria had an RBI single and Roberts scored on a wild pitch.
The Rays were 4-of-11 with runners in scoring position, while San Diego was 1- for-5 with RISP ... Venable has seven stolen bases and five homers this year ... Cobb threw 117 pitches.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
TAMPA BAY: 6
May 10 10:38 PM
- Ben Zobrist singled to center scoring Matt Joyce and Ryan Roberts. Runner on first with none out and Evan Longoria due up.
Padres 3, Rays 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 10 10:00 PM
- Ryan Roberts singled to left scoring Jose Lobaton and Yunel Escobar. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Padres 3, Rays 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 10 9:54 PM
- Ryan Roberts scores on wild pitch by Edison Volquez. Evan Longoria advances to second on indifference. Runner on second with two outs and James Loney at the plate.
Padres 3, Rays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 10 8:31 PM
- Evan Longoria singled to center scoring Matt Joyce. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and James Loney due up.
Padres 3, Rays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 10 8:27 PM
- Will Venable scored on a balk by Alex Cobb with two outs. None on with two outs and Yonder Alonso at the plate.
Padres 3, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 10 8:13 PM
- Carlos Quentin two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 10 7:24 PM
- Will Venable one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 10 7:17 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22