Angels edge White SoxMay 11, 2013 - 5:47 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Mike Trout singled home the go-ahead run in the seventh inning as the LA Angels of Anaheim edged the Chicago White Sox, 7-5, in the opener of a three-game set at U.S. Cellular Field.
Trout finished the game 2-for-5 and also scored a run and Brendan Harris collected three hits, including a solo homer, and scored twice. Albert Pujols, Mark Trumbo and J.B Shuck each drove in one run a piece for the Angels, who have won back-to-back games for the first time since winning three straight from April 19-21.
Michael Kohn (1-0) worked a scoreless sixth inning to earn the win and Ernesto Frieri stranded a runner in the ninth to pick up his sixth save of the season.
"The bullpen had a really good performance, as we expect. We got a lead and we held it," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Dayan Viciedo drove in a pair of runs, Alejandro De Aza had a solo homer and Brandon Flowers added an RBI for the White Sox, losers in four of their last six.
Dylan Axelrod (0-3) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits over six-plus innings to absorb the loss.
The Angels plated four runs in the third and another in the fourth to take a 5-1 lead.
With runners first and third with one out in the seventh, Trout smacked a single to right field, scoring Hank Conger to give the Angels the lead. Tyler Flowers was unable to block a low slider from reliever Matt Lindstrom and Shuck, who moved to third on Trout's base hit, scurried across the plate to put the visitors in front 7-5.
With runners on the corners in the third, Shuck lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to score Conger. A Trout single put runners on first and third once again, and Pujols smoked a double to center field to clear the bases. Trumbo's base hit scored Pujols to give the visitors a three-run edge.
"They just seemed to find holes that third inning. They kept finding holes and just kind of lumped those runs together," Flowers said.
Harris' solo shot in the fourth made it 5-1.
Angels starter Barry Enright gave up a leadoff homer to De Aza in the first, but settled in and navigated through the next three innings with relative ease -- retiring nine straight batters, but got into trouble in the bottom of the fourth.
Alex Rios doubled and Enright issued back-to-back walks to Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko to load the bases. After striking out Conor Gillaspie, Enright skipped a curveball past Conger, allowing Rios to score. Viciedo then crushed a double to center field to plate Dunn and Konerko. Flowers added a base hit later in the frame to tie the game.
Enright made his first start in the majors since 2011 ... The Angels went 4- for-8 with runners in scoring position ... LA is 9-1 when leading after seven innings ... Axelrod has recorded a win since Aug. 29, 2012.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
May 10 11:47 PM
- J.B. Shuck scored on a passed ball by Tyler Flowers with one out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols at the plate.
Angels 7, White Sox 5 Top 7, 1 OutMay 10 10:47 PM
- Mike Trout single to right scored Hank Conger with one out. On the play, J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runners on first and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 6, White Sox 5 Top 7, 1 OutMay 10 10:44 PM
- Tyler Flowers single to left scored Dayan Viciedo with two out. Runner on first and Alejandro De Aza due up.
Angels 5, White Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 10 9:44 PM
- Dayan Viciedo double to center scored Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko with one out. Runner on second and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Angels 5, White Sox 4 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:36 PM
- Alex Rios scored on a wild pitch by Barry Enright with one out. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second and Adam Dunn advances to third on the wild pitch. Runners on second and third and Dayan Viciedo at the plate.
Angels 5, White Sox 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:35 PM
- Brendan Harris two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 5, White Sox 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 10 9:11 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to center scored Albert Pujols with one out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 4, White Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:52 PM
- Albert Pujols double to center scored Brendan Harris. On the play, Mike Trout scored on Alejandro De Aza's fielding error with one out. Runner on second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 3, White Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:51 PM
- J.B. Shuck sacrifice fly to right scored Hank Conger with one out. Runner on first and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 1, White Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 10 8:48 PM
- Alejandro De Aza lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Angels 0, White Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 8:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 8:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22