Ibanez, Iwakauma lead Mariners past A'sMay 11, 2013 - 6:16 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Raul Ibanez smashed a three-run home run and the Seattle Mariners defeated the Oakland Athletics, 6-3, in the opener of a three-game series.
Kendrys Morales, Justin Smoak and Michael Morse contributed with an RBI apiece for the Mariners, who have won eight of their last 11 games.
Seattle starter Hisashi Iwakuma (4-1) had nine strikeouts and allowed two runs on nine hits over seven frames. Tom Wilhelmsen pitched a flawless ninth to notch his 10th save.
"(Iwakuma) was good again," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "What he's been doing, just executing pitches. He kept the ball down good, had a nice splitter working tonight. Did a good job with using his fastball, moving his fastball around, so just another solid effort by Iwakuma."
Jed Lowrie drove in two runs and Derek Norris had a home run for the Athletics, who saw starter Dan Straily (1-1) surrender six runs on six hits and four walks in five-plus innings.
"For any young pitcher, you're trying to find consistency and put together multiple starts in a row where you give your team a chance to win. It's the starter's job to keep them in the game. If you're going to give up some runs, keep it manageable and it just got out of hand a little bit."
Seattle scored twice in the first. Seager drew a walk with one out, and Morales and Morse hit back-to-back singles, with Morse scoring Seager. Smoak followed that with a double, bringing Morales home.
Seager singled to lead off the third and later stole second. Smoak drew a walk, setting up Ibanez's homer, and the Mariners' lead was 5-0.
Morales tacked on one more run for the Mariners in the fifth when he smacked a double deep into center field, scoring Seager, who drew a leadoff walk.
The Athletics, however, came back in the sixth. Lowrie knocked a two-out, two- RBI double, plating Eric Sogard and John Jaso. In the eighth, Norris hit a solo shot, but the Athletics' next three batters all struck out.
Wilhelmsen pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to end the game.
Seager had two walks, a stolen base and three runs scored ... Lowrie hit his 12th double of the season ... The Mariners were 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Right-handed hitters are 0-for-27 against Wilhelmsen this season.
- OAKLAND: 3
May 11 12:52 AM
- Derek Norris lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 6 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 11 12:32 AM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scored Eric Sogard and John Jaso with two out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 2, Mariners 6 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 10 11:55 PM
- Kendrys Morales double to center scored Kyle Seager with none out. Runner on second and Michael Morse due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 10 11:38 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Kyle Seager and Justin Smoak. Jesus Montero due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 10 11:12 PM
- Justin Smoak double to right scored Kendrys Morales with one out. On the play, Michael Morse advances to third. Runners on second and third and Raul Ibanez due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 10 10:30 PM
- Michael Morse single to center scored Kyle Seager with one out. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second and Justin Smoak due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 10 10:26 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 10:13 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21