Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking MarinersMay 23, 2013 - 5:17 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Seattle Mariners are headed in opposite directions.
C.J. Wilson tossed eight terrific innings and the Angels again broke out the bats in an easy 7-1 victory over the Mariners.
Wilson (4-3) allowed just one run on six hits and two walks while striking out 10 to snap a personal three-start winless streak.
"I didn't feel good today...so I threw a bunch of changeups and it worked," explained Wilson. "When you're in rhythm with your catcher, it makes it pretty easy."
Josh Hamilton and Alberto Callaspo each drove in a pair of runs, Albert Pujols went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored and Mark Trumbo had three of the 12 hits for Los Angeles, which has scored 37 runs during a season-high four-game winning streak.
The Mariners have dropped six in a row a disappointing nine-game road trip that began with them taking two of three from the New York Yankees.
Brandon Maurer (2-6), who went to high school six miles from Angel Stadium, had a forgettable start against his hometown team. The 22-year-old rookie gave up seven runs on 11 hits before being pulled after three ineffective innings.
"Tough day for Mauer. He wasn't able to keep the ball down," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
Michael Saunders ended Wilson's shutout bid with an RBI single in the eighth inning, but by that time the outcome was never seriously in doubt.
The Angels, fresh off their 12-0 victory Tuesday, continued their hot hitting with five runs in the first. Hamilton hit the fourth of four consecutive singles to plate a pair, Callaspo doubled in two more with a gapper to right and Hank Conger capped the surge with an RBI single.
Mike Trout, one day after becoming the youngest AL player to ever hit for the cycle, tripled off the center-field wall in the second inning and scored on Pujols' line-drive single up the middle to increase the lead further.
Erick Aybar made it 7-0 an inning later with a run-scoring base hit.
The Angels are 26-9 in their last 35 home games vs. Seattle ... Wilson has never lost four consecutive starts in his big league career and improved to 13-5 lifetime against the Mariners ... Maurer has lost three straight decisions since tossing 6 1/3 scoreless innings against the Angels on Apr. 25 ... Kendrys Morales had three of Seattle's seven hits.
- SEATTLE: 1
LOS ANGELES: 7
May 22 9:53 PM
- Michael Saunders grounded out to first scoring Brendan Ryan with two out. None on and Michael Morse due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 7 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 22 9:26 PM
- Erick Aybar single to center scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on first and Mike Trout due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 22 8:14 PM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 6 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 22 7:49 PM
- Hank Conger singled to right scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Runner on first and J.B. Shuck due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 22 7:36 PM
- Alberto Callaspo double to right scored Mark Trumbo and Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Hank Conger due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 22 7:34 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to left scored Mike Trout and Albert Pujols with one out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 22 7:29 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 7:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21