Fielder leads Tigers past TwinsMay 24, 2013 - 4:05 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Prince Fielder drove in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning and the Detroit Tigers defeated the Minnesota Twins, 7-6, in the opener of a four-game series at Comerica Park.
With one out in the inning and runners on first and second, Fielder hit an infield single off Jared Burton (0-2), scoring Omar Infante, who singled to begin the frame.
Miguel Cabrera had a two-run home run and drove in three while Fielder drove in two runs for the Tigers, who have won three straight.
Detroit starter Rick Porcello surrendered five runs on 10 hits and a walk in five frames. Joaquin Benoit (1-0) pitched a flawless eighth and Jose Valverde was perfect in the ninth to notch his fifth save.
Josh Willingham had two home runs and four RBI while Joe Mauer and Brian Dozier drove in a run apiece for the Twins, who have lost nine straight games. Starter Scott Diamond gave up three runs on nine hits and a walk in 5 2/3 innings.
Cabrera's two-run smash came with one out in the first.
However, in the second, Morneau hit a ground rule double and later scored on a grounder by Dozier.
An inning later, Minnesota scored three runs. Pedro Florimon, Jamey Carroll and Mauer connected on three straight singles, with Mauer plating Florimon. Next was Willingham, who hammered a 1-1 pitch into the stands in left to give the Twins a 5-2 lead.
In the fifth, Avisail Garcia and Infante knocked back-to-back two-out singles and Torii Hunter drew a walk to load the bases. Cabrera's infield single scored Garcia, cutting the deficit to 5-3. Fielder, though, fouled out towards third to end the rally.
Willingham's second home run started the seventh for a 6-3 lead.
The Tigers responded in the bottom half. With Casey Fien pitching for Minnesota, Infante singled to lead off and Cabrera walked. Brian Duensing came in to relieve, but he gave up RBI singles to Fielder and Martinez.
Burton then replaced Duensing, but he allowed a double by Jhonny Peralta, who scored Fielder to tie the game. Burton then hit Matt Tuiasosopo in the foot to load the bases. However, he managed to get Brayan Pena and Andy Dirks to foul out to stop the surge.
Cabrera has six home runs and 13 RBI over the last four games. He also scored his 1,000th career run ... Peralta was 2-for-5. He has hit safely in 30 of his last 35 games and his .323 batting average leads among American League shortstops... The Twins have allowed 51 first-inning runs this season.
- MINNESOTA: 6
May 23 11:38 PM
- Prince Fielder infield single to second scored Omar Infante with one out. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Don Kelly due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 23 11:25 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to left scored Prince Fielder with one out. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Matt Tuiasosopo due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 23 11:00 PM
- Victor Martinez single to center scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 23 10:54 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Omar Infante with one out. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Victor Martinez due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 23 10:51 PM
- Josh Willingham lead off Home Run 2 (8) to left. Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 6, Tigers 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 23 10:27 PM
- Miguel Cabrera infield single to short scored Avisail Garcia with two out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second and Omar Infante advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 23 9:54 PM
- Josh Willingham none-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Jamey Carroll and Joe Mauer. Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 5, Tigers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 23 8:59 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Pedro Florimon with none out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 2, Tigers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 23 8:57 PM
- Brian Dozier fielder's choice to short scored Justin Morneau with two out. Chris Parmelee out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Aaron Hicks due up.
Twins 1, Tigers 2 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 23 8:39 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Torii Hunter. Prince Fielder due up.
Twins 0, Tigers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 23 8:23 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 8:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22