Cabrera homers as Blue Jays down RangersJun 8, 2013 - 4:36 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Melky Cabrera went 3-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI as the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Texas Rangers, 6-1, in the opener of a three-game series at Rogers Centre.
Edwin Encarnacion had a pair of RBI as well while Adam Lind and J.P. Arencibia each contributed with an RBI for the Blue Jays, who meet the Rangers six more times in the next nine days.
Neil Wagner (1-0) pitched 1 1/3 innings of relief to earn his first career win. Toronto's bullpen was stellar with four pitchers combining to allow just one hit over five innings.
"They've been on a nice little roll," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said of the bullpen. "We have some different ways we can attack you with some lefties and some righties. They're kind of feeding off themselves right now."
Nick Tepesch (3-5) yielded a season-high six runs on five hits with six strikeouts over seven frames. The right-hander is winless in his last four starts with his team only scoring six runs in those outings.
"He was good except for that sixth inning," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Tepesch. "It's a good learning experiencing for the kid. He just has to learn to continue to execute as long as he has a chance to stay in the ballgame."
With the game tied at 1-1, the Blue Jays used a four-run sixth inning to open up the game.
Munenori Kawasaki was hit by a pitch to start the inning, followed by a Cabrera single and a Jose Bautista walk to load the bases with no outs. Encarnacion's two-run double broke the tie.
Lind and Arencibia hit back-to-back sacrifice flies to increase the lead to 5-1.
The Rangers' lone run came in the first when Adrian Beltre singled to center to score Jurickson Profar, extending his hitting streak to 12 games. Profar singled and advanced to second on a balk to get in scoring position.
Blue Jays starter Esmil Rogers threw four effective innings surrendering just one run on three hits and striking out six. This was his second start of the season after being used mostly as a reliever.
The Blue Jays added on another run in the seventh on Cabrera's third hit of the night, a single to right, to bring in Kawasaki all the way from first.
Rogers' 13 1/3 scoreless-inning streak came to an in the first inning ... Blue Jays reliever Aaron Loup has not walked a batter in 13 straight innings ... Texas was 1-for-3 with RISP ... Toronto's bullpen has gone 17 2/3 innings without allowing a run.
- TEXAS: 1
Jun 7 9:17 PM
- Melky Cabrera singled to right scoring Munenori Kawasaki. On the play, Cabrera was tagged out in between first and second, right to second to first to end the inning.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 6 End 7Jun 7 9:02 PM
- J.P. Arencibia sacrifice fly out to center scored Edwin Encarnacion. None on with two outs and Colby Rasmus due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 7 8:43 PM
- Adam Lind sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Bautista. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runner on third with one out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 7 8:42 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion doubled to center scoring Munenori Kawasaki and Melky Cabrera. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Adam Lind due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 7 8:41 PM
- Melky Cabrera lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Jose Bautista due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 7 8:05 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to center scoring Jurickson Profar. Runner on first with two outs and Jeff Baker due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 7 7:18 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 7:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22