Rays walk off in 10thJun 30, 2013 - 6:03 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Luke Scott hit a tying home run off Justin Verlander in the eighth inning and Yunel Escobar gave the Tampa Bay Rays a 4-3 win over the Detroit Tigers with an RBI single in the 10th.
James Loney and Wil Myers each singled with one away in the 10th, and after Scott struck out, Escobar lined a single to center off Bruce Rondon (0-1) to knock in the winning run and even this three-game set.
Loney and Ben Zobrist each had three hits and an RBI for the Rays, who were just 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position prior to Escobar's deciding hit.
Austin Jackson cracked a solo homer and Jhonny Peralta added a two-run single for Detroit, which has lost four of its last five games.
With Tampa Bay trailing, 3-2, Scott stepped in with one out in the eighth and lined Verlander's 112th pitch into the right-field seats to even things.
"It's definitely gratifying," Scott said of his homer. "It was real big for our team, helped us out, tied the game and we were able to win it in extra innings."
Verlander finished the frame but did not factor in the decision. He was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on nine hits and four walks.
"It's the best I've seen him in a while," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said of Verlander. "It's a shame that Scott hit the ball out of the ballpark, but he was absolutely terrific."
His counterpart, rookie Chris Archer, surrendered three runs on five hits and three walks over his five-inning start. Fernando Rodney (3-2) earned the victory with two scoreless innings in relief.
Jackson sent Archer's 96-m.p.h. fastball over the wall in right to open the third, and Peralta made it 3-0 later in the frame when he singled home Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez with two away.
Desmond Jennings legged out a triple in the bottom half and scored on Zobrist's groundout, and Loney hit a one-out single in the fifth to plate Matt Joyce, who reached on Prince Fielder's error.
The Tigers have held the Rays to four runs or less in 16 consecutive games ... Verlander is 0-1 in his last four starts ... Sunday's rubber match pits Detroit's Rick Porcello opposite Jeremy Hellickson.
- Yunel Escobar singled to center scored Sam Fuld. On the play, Wil Myers advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jose Molina due up.
Jun 29 10:43 PM
- Luke Scott one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Yunel Escobar due up.
Tigers 3, Rays 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 29 9:54 PM
- James Loney single to right scored Matt Joyce. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Wil Myers due up.
Tigers 3, Rays 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 29 9:04 PM
- Ben Zobrist grounded out second to first scored Desmond Jennings. None on with two outs and James Loney due up.
Tigers 3, Rays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 29 8:17 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to left scored Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez. Runner on first with two outs and Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 3, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 29 8:12 PM
- Austin Jackson lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 1, Rays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 29 8:04 PM
- DETROIT: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:16 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22