Davis reaches 30 homers as O's crush YanksJun 30, 2013 - 4:10 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Chris Davis continued to bludgeon the baseball Saturday night.
The Baltimore first baseman crushed his major league-leading 29th and 30th home runs of the season, helping the Orioles pummel the New York Yankees by an 11-3 score at Camden Yards.
Davis finished with five RBI, giving him 79 this year, but he wasn't the only Oriole to mash the ball. Ryan Flaherty launched a three-run homer to punctuate a five-run third for Baltimore, which has won three straight and will look to complete a three-game sweep on Sunday.
"I think it's big anytime you can win the series at home," Davis said of playing the Yankees. "They're a tough opponent and we get a chance to see them a bunch during the season, but we have a chance to go for a sweep (Sunday) and that'd be huge for us."
Zach Britton (2-2) limited New York to two runs -- one earned -- on six hits in 5 2/3 innings.
Robinson Cano had two hits and scored a run in the Yankees' fourth consecutive loss.
"We know one day it's going to change and we're going to turn it around," Cano said. "We just have to find a way now and keep fighting."
Things went downhill quickly for New York and starter David Phelps (5-5), who was tagged for a career-high nine runs on nine hits in 2 1/3 innings.
Britton dodged a potential rough first inning as the Yankees left the bases loaded.
Phelps wasn't as fortunate.
Baltimore jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the opening frame when Davis followed an RBI single by Adam Jones with a three-run blast to left center.
The third inning also wasn't kind to Phelps. Two walks sandwiched around a Matt Wieters single loaded the bases with one out and Chris Dickerson plated a pair with a single up the middle before Flaherty, the last player to face Phelps, homered to right field.
Britton pitched well with the lead, but his command withered in the sixth as he walked three. Zoilo Almonte put New York on the board with a bases-loaded sacrifice fly and a second run scored when Davis misplayed a grounder off the bat of Lyle Overbay.
Following the error, Jair Jurrjens replaced Britton and retired pinch-hitter Travis Hafner on a fly ball to deep left field with the bags full to end the inning.
Davis emphatically made up for the miscue with a towering, two-run shot to right off Ivan Nova in the bottom of the sixth.
The Yankees got an RBI double from Brett Gardner in the ninth.
Davis tied Brady Anderson's franchise record for the most homers before the All-Star Game ... The Yankees have lost four straight games in Baltimore in a single season for the first time since going 0-7 at Memorial Stadium in 1982 ... Nick Markakis had three of Baltimore's 15 hits ... Phelps had gone 4-0 with a 3.91 ERA over his previous nine starts against the AL East ... Nova tossed 5 2/3 innings ... The Yankees were 3-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base.
- Vernon Wells grounded out third to first to end the game.
Jun 29 10:17 PM
- Brett Gardner double to center scored Chris Stewart with none out. Runner on second and Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 3, Orioles 11 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 29 10:16 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (30) to right scored Nick Markakis. Matt Wieters due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 29 9:24 PM
- Lyle Overbay reached first on Chris Davis' fielding error that scored Robinson Cano with two out. On the play, David Adams advanced to second and Ichiro Suzuki advanced to third. Bases loaded and Austin Romine due up.
Yankees 2, Orioles 9 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 29 9:10 PM
- Zoilo Almonte sacrifice fly out to right scored Jayson Nix with two out. Runners on first and second and David Adams due up.
Yankees 1, Orioles 9 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 29 9:04 PM
- Ryan Flaherty one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored J.J. Hardy and Chris Dickerson. Nate McLouth due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 9 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 29 8:19 PM
- Chris Dickerson single to center scored Chris Davis and Matt Wieters with one out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 6 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 29 8:17 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, three-run Home Run (29) to left center scored Nick Markakis and Adam Jones. Matt Wieters due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 29 7:38 PM
- Adam Jones single to left scored Manny Machado with one out. On the play, Nick Markakis advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Davis due up.
Yankees 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 29 7:35 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:18 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21