Cardinals pound Angels with big second inningJul 4, 2013 - 6:06 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout has made several big catches in his young career, but the play in the second inning typified the night the Angels had against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Trout nearly robbed Jon Jay of a homer, but the ball caromed out of his glove upon impact with the wall in center and it went over for a two-run blast.
That play highlighted a seven-run second inning, as the Cardinals walloped the Angels, 12-2, to snap Los Angeles' seven-game winning streak.
Jay drove in three runs, and Matt Carpenter also went deep and had three RBI.
"A lot of good things happened tonight. We had a big inning in the second and it kept going all night," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said.
Shelby Miller (9-6) snapped a personal two-game skid. The 22-year-old right- hander allowed five hits and two runs while fanning six over six innings.
"I felt like my fastball had a little bit of life," Miller said.
Daniel Descalso had a two-run double in the big inning, as the Cardinals bounced back from a 5-1 loss Tuesday and won for just the third time in 10 games.
Albert Pujols again struggled against his former club. Pujols, who spent his first 11 seasons with the Cardinals but faced them for a first time Tuesday, has gone 0-for-7 so far in this three-game series. That includes an 0-for-4 performance Wednesday. His batting average is down to .244 and he's in a 2-for-29 slump.
Jerome Williams (5-4) yielded four hits, four walks and seven runs over 1 2/3 innings for the Angels, who have dropped four of their last five home games. Hank Conger hit a two-run homer in defeat.
"You're going to have games that get away from you, and tonight was one of them," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Jerome had a good idea of what he wanted to do, but in the second inning he tried to be too fine and things got away from him."
The Cardinals loaded the bases with nobody out in the second inning thanks to walks to Allen Craig and Matt Adams sandwiched around a single from Yadier Molina. Freese then grounded out to plate the first run.
Descalso followed by lining a double down the right field line for a 3-0 lead. One out later, Carpenter hit a bloop RBI single to right-center. Jay then homered to center.
Molina capped the big inning with a run-scoring base hit that scored Carlos Beltran.
Conger homered to right in the bottom of the second, but David Freese scored on a Garrett Richards error in the third to move St. Louis' edge to 8-2.
The Cardinals expanded the cushion to 10-2 in the fifth thanks to an RBI double from Carpenter, who then scored on Jay's single.
Carpenter homered to right-center off Billy Buckner in the seventh and Adams singled in the final run in the eighth.
Molina and Carpenter each had three hits ... Josh Hamilton went 1-for-2 to extend his hitting streak to eight games for the Angels ... Carpenter now has a 12-game hitting streak.
- Alberto Callaspo grounded out short to first to end the game.
Jul 4 1:30 AM
- Matt Adams singled to center scored Shane Robinson. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 12, Angels 2 Top 8, 1 OutJul 4 1:02 AM
- Matt Carpenter two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 11, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 4 12:43 AM
- Jon Jay singled to left scored Matt Carpenter. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 10, Angels 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 4 12:07 AM
- Matt Carpenter doubled to right scored Daniel Descalso. Runner on second with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 9, Angels 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 4 12:06 AM
- Garrett Richards fielding error scored David Freese. Runner on first with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 8, Angels 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 3 11:19 PM
- Hank Conger two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Alberto Callaspo. Erick Aybar due up.
Cardinals 7, Angels 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 3 11:06 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to left scored Carlos Beltran. On the play, Allen Craig advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Matt Adams due up.
Cardinals 7, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 3 10:55 PM
- Jon Jay two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Matt Carpenter. Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 6, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 3 10:45 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to right center scored Daniel Descalso. Runner on first with two outs and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 4, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 3 10:43 PM
- Daniel Descalso doubled to right scored Yadier Molina and Matt Adams. Runner on second with one out and Pete Kozma due up.
Cardinals 3, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 3 10:39 PM
- David Freese grounded out third to first scored Allen Craig. On the play, Matt Adams advances to second and Yadier Molina advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 3 10:38 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21