Verlander shines as Tigers pound Blue JaysJul 5, 2013 - 5:53 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - For Justin Verlander, pitching on foreign soil has felt just like home over the past few years.
Starting at Toronto's Rogers Centre for the first time since his May 2011 no- hitter, the Detroit hurler spun seven scoreless innings in the Tigers' 11-1 rout of the Blue Jays.
Verlander (9-5) yielded just three singles and two walks while striking out five in a 102-pitch effort, and was supported by a Tigers' lineup that pounded out 16 hits and battered Toronto's Esmil Rogers for seven runs in five-plus innings.
"He threw exceptionally well. He looked like he was in command the whole game," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Austin Jackson led the outburst by going 4-for-5 with a homer, three RBI and four runs scored. Torii Hunter knocked in three runs while finishing 2-for-4, Prince Fielder contributed two hits and two RBI and Don Kelly went 3-for-4 and scored three times to help Detroit wrap up this four-game series with three straight wins.
Rogers (3-4) served up 11 of the Tigers' hits in the loss, the Blue Jays' eighth in 11 games since ripping off 11 straight victories from June 11-23. Maicer Izturis had two of Toronto's six hits and singled in the team's lone run in the ninth inning.
"Tonight we didn't play good baseball. It starts on the mound, the starting rotation. We've been getting beat up there. We're also not scoring a ton of runs," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons.
Verlander was in top form all throughout the contest, and especially early on. The ace right-hander set down the first 11 Toronto hitters until Edwin Encarnacion singled with two outs in the bottom of the fourth, with the Blue Jays already faced with a 4-0 deficit at that point.
Conversely, Rogers was in a 1-0 hole just three pitches into his outing, as Jackson singled on the first offering of the game and Andy Dirks brought him home with a double into the gap in left center after taking a strike. Dirks went to third on Hunter's groundout before Fielder laced a single up the middle for a two-run edge.
Hunter increased the Tigers' lead to 4-0 by ripping a double into the left- field corner in the third that plated both Jackson and Dirks, who had reached on a single and a walk. Detroit then put the game out of reach with a three- spot three innings later.
Rogers was removed after issuing consecutive singles to Ramon Santiago, Kelly and Jackson that accounted for another run. Hunter delivered a sacrifice fly shortly afterward to make the score 6-0, with Fielder adding an infield single that knocked in Jackson.
The Blue Jays didn't put forth their first scoring threat until Izturis singled with one out in fifth and Rajai Davis followed with a walk, but Verlander retired the next two batters to strand Izturis at third. Toronto also put two on with one gone in the sixth, and again came up empty after Adam Lind bounced into a double play.
Kelly doubled in front of Jackson's shot over the center-field wall off Neil Wagner in the eighth, and the Tigers tacked on two more runs in the ninth on a bases-loaded walk to Dirks and Hunter's sac fly that brought in Kelly.
Reigning AL MVP and Triple Crown winner Miguel Cabrera, bothered by tightness in his lower back, was out of the Tigers' lineup for the first time this season. Second baseman Omar Infante also did not play after bruising his shin following a collision with Toronto's Colby Rasmus in Wednesday's matchup ... Encarnacion returned after missing the first three games of the set with a sore hamstring ... Santiago ended 2-for-5 with two runs scored in place of Infante ... Detroit's Victor Martinez has now hit safely in 11 straight at the Rogers Centre after singling in the fifth inning ... The Tigers open a four-game series at Cleveland on Friday holding a 1 1/2-game lead on the Indians for first place in the AL Central.
- Rajai Davis struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 4 10:14 PM
- Maicer Izturis single to center scored Josh Thole with two outs. Runner on first and Rajai Davis due up.
Tigers 11, Blue Jays 1 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 4 10:13 PM
- Torii Hunter sacrifice fly out to right scored Don Kelly with two outs. Runners on first and second and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 11, Blue Jays 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 4 10:05 PM
- Andy Dirks walk Ramon Santiago scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 10, Blue Jays 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 4 10:00 PM
- Austin Jackson none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Don Kelly. Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 9, Blue Jays 0 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 4 9:28 PM
- Prince Fielder single to short scored Austin Jackson with two outs. Runner on first and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 7, Blue Jays 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 4 8:55 PM
- Torii Hunter sacrifice fly out to center scored Don Kelly with two outs. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 6, Blue Jays 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 4 8:55 PM
- Austin Jackson single to left scored Ramon Santiago with none out. On the play, Don Kelly advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 5, Blue Jays 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 4 8:47 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to center scored Torii Hunter with two outs. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 4 7:52 PM
- Torii Hunter double to left scored Austin Jackson with none out. On the play, Andy Dirks advances to third. Runners on second and third and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 4 7:47 PM
- Prince Fielder single to center scored Andy Dirks with one out. Runner on first and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 4 7:14 PM
- Andy Dirks double to left center scored Austin Jackson with none out. Runner on second and Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 4 7:11 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 7:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22