Beltre smacks two homers as Rangers down M'sJul 5, 2013 - 5:26 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Adrian Beltre went 3-for-4 with a pair of solo homers, including one that ignited a four-run seventh-inning rally that lifted the Texas Rangers to a 5-4 victory over the Seattle Mariners.
Mitch Moreland, Elvis Andrus and Ian Kinsler also drove in runs during the comeback, which denied the Mariners their first three-game sweep at Rangers Ballpark since April of 2002, while Joe Nathan protected a one-run edge in the ninth to nail down his 28th save of the season.
"We look up to him. I think he was the main reason we got the win today. He's one of those guys that in any game he can do something like that," Andrus said of Beltre.
Josh Lindblom (1-2) recorded the final two outs of the top of the seventh to receive the win. Martin Perez limited Seattle to one run over the initial 5 1/3 innings despite being reached for eight hits and walking two.
Hisashi Iwakuma (7-4) held Texas to one run and three hits through his first six innings of work, but allowed three straight baserunners -- all of whom scored -- to begin the bottom of the seventh.
Raul Ibanez had given Iwakuma a 3-1 lead with a two-run homer in the top of the seventh and finished 4-for-5 with three RBI. Kyle Seager added three hits and a run scored, but Seattle left 13 men on base and went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
"We had 14 hits and only scored four runs, left 13 on that was the game right there. We had some good at-bats and some hard outs too," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge.
Iwakuma came out for the bottom of the seventh owning a 3-1 lead thanks to Ibanez cracking his seventh homer in 10 games during Seattle's half of the inning, but Beltre belted his third pitch of the frame into the grass behind the center-field wall to cut the margin to one. The right-hander's night ended soon afterward, as A.J. Pierzynski followed with a single and Lance Berkman drew a walk.
Moreland then shot a grounder up the middle against Charlie Furbush to bring home Pierzynski with the tying run and send pinch-runner Engel Beltre to third, and Andrus delivered a fly ball deep enough to left to give Texas a 4-3 advantage.
Kinsler extended the margin two batters later with an RBI single off Danny Farquhar.
The Mariners were able to pull within one in the eighth after pinch-hitter Brad Miller singled against Tanner Scheppers, took second on Andrus' throwing error from shortstop, and came around on Ibanez's fourth hit of the night. They then nearly tied it in the ninth, as Seager hit a ball caught at the wall in right before Nathan fanned two of the next three hitters.
Iwakuma allowed just two baserunners over the first four innings, but still trailed 1-0 after Adrian Beltre tattooed a 1-2 pitch well over the wall in left center to begin the bottom of the second.
Perez, meanwhile, worked his way out of trouble on several occasions that included a bases-loaded, one-out jam in the top of the second in which he got Henry Blanco to hit into a rally-killing double play. The young lefty also stranded a pair of runners in both the third and fifth, but Seattle was able to push a man across in its half of the sixth.
Seager and Justin Smoak began the frame with singles before Endy Chavez hit a grounder to second. Kinsler tagged out Smoak, but threw errantly to first to enable Seager to come around and tie the game at 1-1.
Neal Cotts came on for Texas with one out and none aboard in and was greeted by Nick Franklin's dribbler that the rookie legged out for a base hit. Ibanez then battled his way out of an 0-2 hole to launch a fastball into the second deck in right for the 41-year-old's 21st homer of the season.
The Mariners have now homered in 12 consecutive games, the club's longest stretch since going 18 in a row from Sept. 9-29 of last season ... Ibanez is batting .381 (16-for-42) with seven homers over a 10-game hitting streak, while Seager has gone 9-for-18 over his last four contests... Andrus, batting .195 over his last 39 games coming in, was moved down to eighth in the order. It was the first time he hadn't hit either first or second since April 17, 2010 ... ... Iwakuma has served up seven homers in his last three starts, though six have been solo shots ... Adrian Beltre has hit safely in eight straight Independence Day games with three homers and eight RBI over that span.
- Pinch-Hitter Michael Saunders struck out looking to end the game.
Jul 4 11:21 PM
- Raul Ibanez single to center scored Brad Miller. Runner on first with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 4, Rangers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 4 10:58 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored Mitch Moreland. On the play, Leonys Martin advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and David Murphy due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 4 10:48 PM
- Elvis Andrus sacrifice fly out scored Engel Beltre. Runner on first with one out and Leonys Martin due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 4 10:42 PM
- Mitch Moreland single to center scored A.J. Pierzynski. On the play, Engel Beltre advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 4 10:40 PM
- Adrian Beltre lead off Home Run 2 (16) to center. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 4 10:29 PM
- Raul Ibanez one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Nick Franklin. Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 1 Top 7, 1 OutJul 4 10:09 PM
- Endy Chavez grounded into a fielder's choice. On the play, Justin Smoak tagged out. Kyle Seager scored on Ian Kinsler's throwing error. Runner on first with one out and Henry Blanco due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutJul 4 9:42 PM
- Adrian Beltre lead-off Home Run (15) to left center. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 4 8:38 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21