Halos rally past CardsJul 5, 2013 - 4:50 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Hamilton tied the game with a two-run home run in the ninth inning, and Erick Aybar drove in the winning run later in the frame to give the LA Angels of Anaheim a 6-5 win over the St. Louis Cardinals in the finale of a three-game set.
Adam Wainwright was going for the complete game as he came out to start the ninth, but Albert Pujols greeted him with a single, Pujols' first base-hit against his former team, and Edward Mujica (0-1) came on to close the contest.
Mujica came on the mound having converted all 21 of his save opportunities on the season, but Hamilton broke that run as he crushed a 1-0 splitter over the wall in dead center to tie the game.
"It was really exciting and any time you can contribute in late innings it's something special," said Hamilton. "I've been seeing the ball a lot better these past few weeks."
Howie Kendrick and Mark Trumbo then hit singles to put the winning run at third, but Alberto Callaspo and Hank Conger each hit shallow fly outs. Aybar, though, punched a single to left and Kendrick came home for the win.
"He's been very, very good, but tonight he couldn't get it done," said St. Louis manager Mike Matheny.
Mike Trout drove in a pair of runs and Trumbo hit a solo home run for the Angels, who have won eight of their past nine games.
Joe Blanton (2-11) gave up five runs on nine hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings. Scott Downs (2-2) pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to pick up the win.
Allen Craig cracked a three-run home run, Daniel Descalso went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored while Matt Carpenter also drove in a run for the Cardinals, who have lost five of seven.
Wainwright pitched eight-plus innings as he gave up four runs on seven hits with a walk and three strikeouts.
Trout's two-run single staked the Angels to a 2-0 lead in the third inning, but Craig's three-run shot in the fourth, his 10th of the year, gave the Cardinals a 3-2 lead.
Trumbo tied the game with his team-leading 19th homer of the year in the bottom of the fourth, but Carpenter gave the lead back to St. Louis in the fifth with a sac fly that scored Descalso.
Descalso's RBI single in the sixth gave the Cardinals a 5-3 lead.
Hamilton has a nine-game hitting streak ... This was the first series between these two clubs since 2010 ... The Angels host Boston for three games starting on Friday ... The Cardinals return home after a 3-5 road trip to face Miami for three games beginning on Friday.
- ST. LOUIS: 5
LOS ANGELES: 6
Jul 5 12:04 AM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Howie Kendrick with two out to end the game.
Cardinals 5, Angels 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 5 12:00 AM
- Josh Hamilton none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Albert Pujols. Howie Kendrick due up.
Cardinals 5, Angels 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 4 11:48 PM
- Daniel Descalso single to center scored Matt Adams with two out. On the play, David Freese advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 5, Angels 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 4 10:44 PM
- Matt Carpenter sacrifice fly out to center scored Daniel Descalso with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 4, Angels 3 Top 5, 1 OutJul 4 10:23 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (19) to right center. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Cardinals 3, Angels 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 4 10:15 PM
- Allen Craig none-out, three-run Home Run (10) to center scored Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 3, Angels 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 4 10:06 PM
- Mike Trout single to center scored Alberto Callaspo and Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Cardinals 0, Angels 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 4 9:52 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 9:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21