Red Sox down AngelsJul 6, 2013 - 6:09 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Felix Doubront struck out five over 6 2/3 innings of two-run ball, as the Boston Red Sox edged the LA Angels of Anaheim, 6-2, Friday in the opener of a three-game set.
Doubront (5-3) held the Halos to five hits and two walks to notch his first victory since June 1.
David Ortiz smacked a two-run home run, Mike Napoli added a solo shot, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia recorded two hits and an RBI for the Red Sox, who have won five straight and nine of their last 10 games.
C.J. Wilson (8-6) had his four-start win streak halted after giving up three runs -- one earned -- on 10 hits and two walks over 6 2/3 frames.
"C.J. had terrific stuff," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of his starter. "Unfortunately we didn't make plays in the field and didn't support him offensively."
Howie Kendrick clubbed a solo homer for the Angels, who have dropped two of their last three on the heels of a seven-game winning streak.
Kendrick's leadoff blast in the fourth tied the game at 2-2, but the Red Sox regained the lead in the seventh thanks to LA right fielder Josh Hamilton's fielding error.
Shane Victorino started the inning with a single before Wilson quickly retired the next two hitters.
Jonny Gomes then lofted a fly ball down the right-field line that Hamilton appeared to have a beat on, but the potential inning-ending flyout tipped off the right fielder's glove and found grass, allowing Victorino to score from first for a 3-2 edge.
Ortiz padded the lead in the eighth when he followed Daniel Nava's leadoff double with a pinch-hit blast into the right-field seats to make it 5-2.
"I don't like pinch-hitting," Ortiz joked. "He put a pitch over the plate, I put a good swing on it and it went out."
Craig Breslow and Junichi Tazawa combined for a scoreless bottom of the eighth before Napoli pounded his 10th longball of the season deep into straightaway center in the ninth to give the Red Sox a 6-2 cushion.
Early on, Boston struck first in the second inning after Gomes worked a one- out walk and Nava followed with a single.
Wilson bounced back by flying out Brandon Snyder, but Saltalamacchia came through with a two-out single to left. Gomes scored easily on the play, while a fielding error by LA left fielder J.B. Shuck allowed Nava to race around from first for a 2-0 lead.
Shuck made up for the fielding gaffe in the third when he launched a leadoff triple off the right-field wall. Mike Trout followed with a walk to put runners on the corners before Albert Pujols grounded into a 5-4-3 double play, allowing Shuck to score from third to trim the margin in half.
Ellsbury extended his hit streak to 15 games with a single in the fifth ... Wilson hadn't lost since a 7-2 defeat in Boston on June 8 ... At 54-34, the Red Sox are 20 games over .500 for the first time since Sept. 23, 2011 (88-68) ... Napoli had gone his last 86 at-bats without a home run ... The Angels went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left five runners on base.
- Alberto Callaspo grounded out to first to end the game.
Jul 6 1:23 AM
- Mike Napoli two-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Jonny Gomes due up.
Red Sox 6, Angels 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 6 1:16 AM
- Pinch-Hitter David Ortiz none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Daniel Nava. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 5, Angels 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 6 12:49 AM
- Jonny Gomes reached first on Josh Hamilton's fielding error scored Shane Victorino with two out. Runner on first and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 3, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 6 12:26 AM
- Howie Kendrick lead-off Home Run (10) to right center. Josh Hamilton due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 5 11:29 PM
- Albert Pujols grounded into a double play, third to second to first scored J.B. Shuck with two out. On the play, Mike Trout out at second. None on and Mark Trumbo due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 5 11:12 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia single to left scored Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava with two out. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second on J.B. Shuck's fielding error. Runner on second and Jose Iglesias due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 5 10:36 PM
- BOSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 10:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21