Nunez lifts Yankees to sixth straight winJul 6, 2013 - 10:47 PM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Eduardo Nunez made an immediate impact in his return to the lineup, going 2-for-3 with two RBI and a run scored during the New York Yankees' 5-4 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Saturday.
Nunez was activated from the 60-day disabled list prior to the game. The shortstop appeared in his first game since early May due to an oblique strain. He didn't bat much during his rehabilitation assignment.
"Nuney is kind of a free spirit. I don't think he thought a lot about not having a lot of at-bats," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Robinson Cano, Ichiro Suzuki and Luis Cruz each had an RBI for the Yankees, who have won a season-high six straight games.
New York starter Andy Pettitte (6-6) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits over 6 2/3 innings.
Chris Davis hit his league-leading 33rd homer of the season for the Orioles, who have dropped three in a row. He has already matched his home run and RBI (85) totals from 2012.
Chris Tillman (10-3) saw a career-high seven-decision winning streak come to an end. The right-hander gave up five runs on 10 hits over 5 1/3 frames.
The Orioles got on the board in the first. Adam Jones hit a two-out single and scored on Davis' blast to center.
Baltimore tacked on another run in the second. Nolan Reimold reached base on an infield single, advanced to second on Pettitte's throwing error and raced home on Alexi Casilla's double down the left-field line.
New York got two runs back in the bottom half of the frame. Travis Hafner walked and Zoilo Almonte and Lyle Overbay singled to load the bases with no outs. Cruz's RBI single to left and Nunez's sacrifice fly cut the gap to 3-2.
Taylor Teagarden's RBI single in the fourth gave the Orioles a two-run lead. J.J. Hardy scored on the play after leading off the inning with a double.
"Anytime you're leading early in the game, you expect to continue to lead, or at least put up some more runs," Davis said.
The Yankees put two runs on the board in the fifth to tie the game. Nunez and Chris Stewart hit back-to-back singles before they each moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt. Suzuki and Cano followed with consecutive RBI singles.
New York took the lead during its next at-bat. Overbay singled to right-center field, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored on Nunez's base hit up the middle.
Mariano Rivera tossed a scoreless ninth to pick up his 29th save of the season.
The Orioles lead the season series by a 6-5 margin ... The Yankees placed pitcher David Phelps on the 15-day disabled list and transferred first baseman Mark Teixeira to the 60-day disabled list ... The Orioles today acquired infielder Alex Liddi and International Signing Bonus Slot No. 3 from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for the Orioles' International Signing Bonus Slot No. 2. Liddi was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk ... Pettitte improved to 28-6 in 43 career games (41 starts) against the O's ... Davis has the most homers before the All-Star break since 2001 (Barry Bonds 39, Luis Gonzalez 35).
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Dickerson struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 6 4:21 PM
- Eduardo Nunez singled to center scored Lyle Overbay. On the play, Nunez advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Chris Stewart due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 6 3:11 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to left scored Chris Stewart. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Travis Hafner due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 6 2:45 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki infield single to second scored Eduardo Nunez. On the play, Chris Stewart advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 6 2:43 PM
- Taylor Teagarden singled to left scored J.J. Hardy. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 6 2:20 PM
- Eduardo Nunez sacrifice fly out to left scored Zoilo Almonte. On the play, Lyle Overbay thrown out at third, left to third. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Stewart due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 6 1:50 PM
- Luis Cruz singled to left scored Travis Hafner. On the play, Lyle Overbay advances to second and Zoilo Almonte advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 6 1:47 PM
- Alexi Casilla doubled to left scored Nolan Reimold. Runner on second with one out and Taylor Teagarden due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 6 1:30 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (33) to center scored Adam Jones. Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 6 1:15 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 1:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21