A's knock around Royals' MendozaJul 8, 2013 - 1:15 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Josh Reddick had a two-run home run and four RBI and the Oakland Athletics defeated the Kansas City Royals, 10-4, in the rubber match of a three-game series at Kauffman Stadium.
Eric Sogard had a two-run homer and three RBI while Jed Lowrie hit a solo shot and drove in two runs for the Athletics, who have won eight of their last 11 games.
A.J. Griffin (7-6) gave up two runs on five hits and a walk in five frames, but needed 105 pitches. Jesse Chavez pitched the final four innings of relief, giving up just three hits and a walk to notch his first career save.
"It was just a great game all around," said Sogard. "Griffin battled out there for awhile, got behind a few hitters and made him pay. Chavez came in and did a great job shutting them down."
Alex Gordon and George Kottaras each had a home run while Mike Moustakas and Miguel Tejada drove in one run apiece for the Royals.
"Yeah, you know it was a big deficit, but we didn't really give up," said Kottaras. "We put some runs up a little later in the game. Those games are going to happen."
Luis Mendoza (2-5) lasted just 1 2/3 innings, surrendering five runs on five hits and two walks.
Oakland battered Mendoza with five runs in the second. Reddick started the scoring with a one-out, two-RBI double to center. Following a strikeout by Chris Young, Sogard smacked a run-scoring double before Coco Crisp and Lowrie laced consecutive RBI-base hits, prompting Royals manager Ned Yost to take Mendoza out of the game.
Bruce Chen came on in relief and gave up a single to Josh Donaldson, but got Yoenis Cespedes to pop out to end the inning.
Kottaras delivered a solo shot with two outs in the bottom half, but the Athletics extended their lead in the third.
Brandon Moss singled to lead off but was caught stealing second. John Jaso singled to left, setting up Reddick's two-run smash.
Gordon crushed a two-out, 2-0 fastball in the home fifth, but Lowrie responded with a solo shot in the sixth.
In the home half of the sixth, Lorenzo Cain hit a leadoff single off Jerry Blevins and scored on a double by Moustakas. After Kottaras walked, Chavez came on in relief. Jarrod Dyson singled to right and Tejada's infield single plated Moustakas.
The A's weren't done scoring, however. In the seventh, with one on and two out, Sogard crushed the first pitch he saw from Kansas City reliever Will Smith over the wall in right to push the lead to 10-4.
In the ninth, Chavez allowed a one-out single by Eric Hosmer but got Billy Butler and Cain to groundout consecutively to end the game.
Reddick went 5-for-11 with seven RBI in the series ... Sogard's homer was his first since April 27, 2012 ... The Athletics hit 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position while the Royals went 2-for-6 ... The A's are 137-140 in Kansas City, including 117-124 at Kauffman Stadium.
- Lorenzo Cain grounded into a fielder's choice to second. On the play, Billy Butler out at second to end the game.
Jul 7 5:32 PM
- Eric Sogard two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Chris Young. Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 10, Royals 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 7 4:52 PM
- Miguel Tejada reached on an infiled single to first scoring Mike Moustakas with two out. On the play, Jarrod Dyson advances to second and George Kottaras advances to third. Bases loaded and Eric Hosmer due up.
Athletics 8, Royals 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 7 4:44 PM
- Mike Moustakas double to right center scored Lorenzo Cain with none out. Runner on second and George Kottaras due up.
Athletics 8, Royals 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 7 4:30 PM
- Jed Lowrie one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 8, Royals 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 7 4:17 PM
- Alex Gordon two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Miguel Tejada due up.
Athletics 7, Royals 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 4:08 PM
- Josh Reddick one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored John Jaso. Chris Young due up.
Athletics 7, Royals 1 Top 3, 1 OutJul 7 3:10 PM
- George Kottaras two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Elliot Johnson due up.
Athletics 5, Royals 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 7 3:01 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to center scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on first and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 5, Royals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 7 2:48 PM
- Coco Crisp single to center scored Eric Sogard with two out. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 4, Royals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 7 2:48 PM
- Eric Sogard double to left center scored Josh Reddick with two out. Runner on second and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 3, Royals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 7 2:44 PM
- Josh Reddick double to center scored Yoenis Cespedes and John Jaso with one out. Runner on second and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 2, Royals 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 7 2:37 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 2:14 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21