Blue Jays subdue Twins with explosive offenseJul 8, 2013 - 12:07 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Rajai Davis finished 2-for-4 with a three-run homer and scored three times, as Toronto clobbered Minnesota, 11-5, in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Colby Rasmus added three hits, including a two-run shot, and also drove in three for the Blue Jays, who entered the series having lost six of their previous eight.
Edwin Encarnacion hit a two-run triple, while Jose Reyes contributed a solo homer and two runs scored for Toronto.
Todd Redmond (1-1) lasted five innings, allowing one hit and two runs along with four strikeouts, but walked three en route to his first major league victory.
"He knew the situation. He's here to fill in due to injuries and he made the most of his opportunity to start," said Jays manager John Gibbons. "He couldn't have done a better job."
Trevor Plouffe and Aaron Hicks each hit a two-run shot for the Twins, who have dropped seven of eight.
Scott Diamond (5-8) was charged in defeat with eight hits and six runs with four walks over 4 2/3 frames.
Reyes kicked off the home fifth by giving Toronto a 3-2 edge, and after Encarnacion walked with one out and Mark DeRosa singled with two away, Davis cranked up a three-run shot which reached the upper levels just inside the left-field foul pole for a 6-2 game.
Diamond departed for Anthony Swarzak, who walked Rasmus and allowed a single to J.P. Arencibia before retiring Maicer Izturis to end the frame.
"It's frustrating to see how things turned out again," Diamond admitted. "I'm still having trouble keeping balls in the park."
Minnesota closed within three in the sixth on Parmelee's fielder's choice grounder that scored Ryan Doumit, but Adam Lind's double plated Encarnacion in the home half to restore the hosts' four-run edge.
In the home seventh, Davis walked, stole second and was chased home on Rasmus' double for an 8-3 score. Rasmus later scored on an Izturis single for a six- run spread. Jose Bautista walked and Encarnacion's triple scored two more to push the hosts into double digits.
Plouffe's two-run blast in the eighth for the visitors made it a six-run contest, but that was all Minnesota could muster in a comeback attempt.
The Jays got on the board in the fourth, as Davis doubled with two out and Rasmus followed with a line-drive homer to right.
Hicks equalized for the Twins in the fifth, launching a ball over the right- field wall after Clete Thomas worked a one-out walk.
Toronto completed its seven-game homestand with a 3-4 mark ... The Blue Jays completed their ninth straight home series victory against the Twins dating back to May of 2005 ... Diamond is a native of nearby Guelph, Ontario ... Twins outfielder Oswaldo Arcia was held out of action Sunday after being hit on the right hand by a pitch on Saturday.
- Ryan Doumit grounded out short to first to end the game.
Jul 7 4:19 PM
- Trevor Plouffe one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left center scored Eduardo Escobar. Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 5, Blue Jays 11 Top 8, 1 OutJul 7 3:53 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion tripled to right center scored Jose Reyes and Jose Bautista. Runner on third with two outs and Adam Lind due up.
Twins 3, Blue Jays 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 7 3:45 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to center scored Colby Rasmus. Runner on first with one out and Jose Reyes due up.
Twins 3, Blue Jays 9 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 7 3:37 PM
- Colby Rasmus doubled to left center scored Rajai Davis. Runner on second with none out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Twins 3, Blue Jays 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 7 3:31 PM
- Adam Lind doubled to right center scored Edwin Encarnacion. Runner on second with two outs and Mark DeRosa due up.
Twins 3, Blue Jays 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 7 3:08 PM
- Chris Parmelee grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Ryan Doumit, Trevor Plouffe out at second, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Clete Thomas due up.
Twins 3, Blue Jays 6 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 7 2:54 PM
- Rajai Davis two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Edwin Encarnacion and Mark DeRosa. Colby Rasmus due up.
Twins 2, Blue Jays 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 2:34 PM
- Jose Reyes lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Jose Bautista due up.
Twins 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 7 2:27 PM
- Aaron Hicks one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Clete Thomas. Pedro Florimon due up.
Twins 2, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 1 OutJul 7 2:20 PM
- Colby Rasmus two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right center scored Rajai Davis. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Twins 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 7 2:07 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 1:07 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21
- Nunez homer caps late rally as Twins defeat Blue Jays May 21