Trout, Weaver lead Angels past Red SoxJul 8, 2013 - 3:48 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout homered for the second straight day and the Angels stifled the Red Sox, 3-0, in the rubber match of a three-game set behind an excellent start from Jered Weaver.
Weaver (3-4) turned in 6 2/3 innings of shutout ball, scattering just five hits and two walks while striking out six. He's allowed only two runs over his last 20 2/3 innings -- a stretch which spans over three starts.
Hank Conger added a solo homer, Erick Aybar tripled and scored a run and the Angels collected their 10th win in 12 games when Ernesto Frieri pitched a scoreless ninth to notch his 22nd save of the season.
The Red Sox blew a four-run ninth inning lead on Saturday in an eventual 9-7 loss, and have now dropped two in a row on the heels of a five-game winning streak.
Former Angel John Lackey (6-6) struck out nine over seven innings and allowed just five hits, but served up both homers and received zero offensive support in having his three-game winning streak snapped.
"John (Lackey) was outstanding, only two solo homers through seven innings," said Boston manager John Farrell. "He threw strikes, we just couldn't get much going against Weaver today."
Boston was shutout for the fifth time this season, mustering only one hit in nine chances with runners in scoring position.
The Sox put their first two runners on, with Jacoby Ellsbury doubling over the head of left fielder J.B. Shuck and Daniel Nava dumping a single into right to put men at the corners, but failed to manifest a score.
Weaver retired the heart of Boston's order to escape the jam, and went on to allow just a single between the second and sixth innings.
"I'm feeling good, my location was pretty good. I wanted to try and match Lackey," said Weaver. "I just tried to make quality pitches, John took me under his wing when he was here. He taught me the ropes, I owe him a lot."
Trout was named to his second All-Star team in as many big league seasons on Saturday, and staked his team to the early lead by clubbing an opposite-field home run in the first for a 1-0 lead.
The Angels went deep again in the fifth, with Conger lifting a solo blast into right to double LA's advantage.
Dane De La Rosa relieved Weaver with two outs in the seventh and finished off the frame by flying out Jose Iglesias to strand runners at first and second.
Aybar tripled off Boston reliever Junichi Tazawa to start the eighth and scored easily on Mark Trumbo's deep fly out to center to provide Los Angeles with a three-run cushion.
A fielding error by Trumbo on David Ortiz's hard-hit grounder down the first base line put a man on second with no one out in the ninth, but Frieri struck out Mike Napoli, Mike Carp and Ryan Lavarnway in succession to end the game.
Ellsbury extended his hitting streak to 17 games, finishing 1-for-4 ... Trout has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games ... LA right fielder Josh Hamilton doubled in the eighth to move his hitting streak to 12 games ... Carp was 0- for-4 with four strikeouts on the evening.
- Ryan Lavarnway struck out looking to end the game.
Jul 7 11:05 PM
- Mark Trumbo sacrifice fly to center scored Erick Aybar with one out. None on and Mike Trout due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 7 10:44 PM
- Hank Conger two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 9:43 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right center. Albert Pujols due up.
Red Sox 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 7 8:25 PM
- BOSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 8:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21