Rios ties AL record with six hits; White Sox rout TigersJul 10, 2013 - 4:18 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Dayan Viciedo hit a pair of homers, including a three-run blast during a seven-run eighth inning, as the Chicago White Sox beat the Detroit Tigers, 11-4, in the opener of a three-game set at Comerica Park.
Alex Rios added a career-high six hits, which tied an American League record for a nine-inning game. He drove in two runs and stole two bases.
"I don't know how to describe it," Rios said of going 6-for-6. "It's fun and when you feel that you're making progress it feels even better."
Chicago starter Jose Quintana outdueled Justin Verlander, as Chicago won for just the third time in 13 games. Quintana (4-2) allowed just three runs on six hits, striking out seven and walking one, to win for the first time since May 21.
Adam Dunn also homered during the decisive eighth inning, connecting on a two- run shot off Verlander to break a 1-1 tie and help the White Sox end a four- game slide. Dunn finished 3-for-5 with three RBI.
Matt Tuiasosopo had a solo homer and Miguel Cabrera had a two-run shot for Detroit, which lost for just the second time in eight games.
Verlander (9-6) was tagged for five runs on 12 hits with just three strikeouts and one walk over seven-plus innings.
"I wasn't crisp...just one of those days it happens," Verlander admitted. "I felt good but I just wasn't able to execute there in the eighth."
The trouble for Verlander began when Rios led off the eighth with his fourth hit of the night, marking the only time a batter has had four hits in a game against the right-hander. After Rios stole his second base of the night, Dunn lined a 3-2 pitch into the seats in right for to give Chicago a 3-1 lead.
Verlander was pulled after Jeff Keppinger and Conor Gillaspie followed Dunn's blast with singles to put runners on the corners. Viciedo then greeted Detroit reliever Al Alburquerque with a three-run homer for a five-run cushion.
Rios later drove in another run with a single and Dunn followed with an RBI base hit to make it 8-1.
Cabrera hit his 29th homer of the season in the bottom of the eighth inning, but it wasn't enough for Detroit. Quintana got Prince Fielder to ground out to second for the final out of the inning and Chicago added three more runs in the ninth on RBI singles by Keppinger, Rios and Alexi Ramirez to ice the win.
Don Kelly had a solo homer in the ninth for Detroit against reliever Simon Castro to cap the scoring.
Viciedo finished with three hits and four RBI for Chicago, which finished with a season-high 23 hits.
Tuiasosopo started the scoring, hitting a homer to start the bottom of the fifth, but Viciedo blasted a two-out solo shot in the sixth to knot the game at 1-1.
Quintana entered the game with a Major League-leading 12 no-decisions, including seven straight.
The Detroit Tigers placed second baseman Omar Infante on the 15-day disabled list with a left ankle sprain on Tuesday and recalled infielder Hernan Perez from Double-A Erie ... Viciedo has seven home runs this season ... Tuiasosopo now has five home runs this year... Rios has 19 stolen bases this season ... Dunn went 2-for-4 and now has 62 hits this season with 24 being home runs. He also has 60 RBI on the season ... Cabrera has 92 RBI this season, the most in baseball ... Chicago beat Detroit for just the third time in 12 outings ... This was the first meeting of the season between the two clubs.
- CHICAGO: 11
Jul 9 10:52 PM
- Don Kelly two-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Hernan Perez due up.
White Sox 11, Tigers 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 9 10:51 PM
- Jeff Keppinger infield single to third scored Alexei Ramirez with two out. On the play, Brent Morel advances to second and Alex Rios advances to third. Bases loaded and Conor Gillaspie due up.
White Sox 11, Tigers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 9 10:46 PM
- Alex Rios single to right scored Alejandro De Aza with two out. On the play, Alexei Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 10, Tigers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 9 10:40 PM
- Alexei Ramirez single to right scored Gordon Beckham with two out. On the play, Alejandro De Aza advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 9, Tigers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 9 10:38 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (29) to left center scored Torii Hunter. Prince Fielder due up.
White Sox 8, Tigers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 9 10:20 PM
- Adam Dunn single to center scored Alexei Ramirez with two out. On the play, Alex Rios advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
White Sox 8, Tigers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 9 10:07 PM
- Alex Rios single to left scored Alejandro De Aza with two out. On the play, Alexei Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 7, Tigers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 9 10:04 PM
- Dayan Viciedo none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (7) to right scored Jeff Keppinger and Conor Gillaspie. Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 6, Tigers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 9 9:57 PM
- Adam Dunn none-out, two-run Home Run (24) to right scored Alex Rios. Jeff Keppinger due up.
White Sox 3, Tigers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 9 9:52 PM
- Dayan Viciedo two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 1, Tigers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 9 9:21 PM
- Matt Tuiasosopo lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Hernan Perez due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 9 9:10 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 7:47 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22