Bradley, Ortiz homer in Boston's win over MarinersJul 10, 2013 - 6:23 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Jackie Bradley, Jr. belted one of five Boston home runs, including his tie-breaking solo shot in the fifth helping the Red Sox outslug the Seattle Mariners, 11-8, Tuesday in the second matchup of a four-game series at Safeco Field.
Dustin Pedroia and Mike Napoli each smacked a two-run homer, while David Ortiz and Shane Victorino added a solo blast apiece for the Red Sox, who snapped a three-game losing streak.
Ortiz finished 4-for-5 to notch his 1,688th hit as a designated hitter, tying Harold Baines for the most hits by a DH in major league history.
Boston starter Allen Webster was shelled for seven runs on six hits over 2 1/3 frames, but five Red Sox relievers combined to hold the Mariners to one run the rest of the way, with Craig Breslow (3-2) earning the victory after tossing 2 1/3 scoreless frames.
"His ability to use multiple pitches in any count just to slow them down, that was the approach," Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Breslow's outing. "He gave us a chance to get on track."
Koji Uehara capped the stellar bullpen effort with a 1-2-3 ninth to secure his sixth save of the season.
Blake Beavan (0-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up a pair of runs over two innings of work in relief of starter Hisashi Iwakuma, who surrendered six runs on eight hits in just three innings.
Brad Miller collected three hits and four RBI, while Kendrys Morales went 3- for-5 with a pair of homers and three RBI for the Mariners, who had won two straight and five of seven coming into the contest.
"It's like he's starting to heat up a little bit," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said of Morales. "There's a lot of encouraging things offensively here. That's the positive you take out of it."
After a high-scoring first four frames found the score locked at 7-7, Bradley Jr., who was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket prior to the game, scorched a two-out homer into right-center field to give the Red Sox the lead for good.
Boston failed to add to its lead until the eighth, when Victorino led off with a drive over the left-field wall to make it 9-7.
Ortiz singled to right with one out and then stole second before Jarrod Saltalamacchia was walked intentionally. Jose Iglesias and Brock Holt followed with consecutive RBI singles to push Boston's lead to 11-7.
Seattle got a run back in the bottom half, as Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley each singled around a Mike Zunino fly out to put men on the corners.
Miller followed with a groundout to score Saunders and trim the margin to 11-8, but the M's were unable to muster anything against Uehara in the ninth.
Early on, Morales smacked a two-run homer in the first to get the M's on the board, but Ortiz launched the fifth pitch of the second into the seats in right field to trim the margin in half.
Seattle answered in the home half of the frame when Miller laced a bases- loaded double into the right-field corner to score all three runners and give the Mariners a 5-1 lead.
The Red Sox responded in the third, as Pedroia followed Victorino's one-out single with a line-drive shot over the wall in left.
Ortiz followed with a double off the wall in right-center before Napoli crushed a first-pitch slider into the first row in right-center to tie the game at 5-5.
Saltalamacchia smacked a ground-rule double to left before Iglesias swung and missed at strike three, but was able to reach first when Iwakuma's pitch skipped to the backstop. Holt scored Saltalamacchia with a sacrifice fly to right to give the Red Sox a 6-5 edge.
The lead was short-lived, as Morales smashed the first pitch of the home half into straightaway center field to tie the game at 6-6.
Kyle Seager followed with a single before Smoak scorched a line-out to right field that ended Webster's night, as Alfredo Aceves entered from the bullpen.
The pitching change couldn't cool Seattle's bats, as Saunders greeted Aceves with a triple to the gap in right-center to score Seager for a 7-6 lead.
Beavan started the fourth for Seattle and plunked Daniel Nava before walking Victorino on five pitches. Pedroia then punched a base hit through the right side of the infield to score Nava and knot the game at 7-7.
All nine of Boston's starting position players registered at least one hit ... Seattle outfielder Raul Ibanez went 0-for-5 to snap a 13-game hitting streak ... Iwakuma is winless in his last five starts and has allowed at least four runs in each game during the drought ... After scoring in each of the last five innings Monday and the first three Tuesday, Seattle set a club record with eight consecutive innings in which it scored at least one run.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia intentionally walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jose Iglesias due up.
Jul 10 1:54 AM
- Brad Miller ground out to first scored Michael Saunders with two outs. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second. Runner on second and Nick Franklin due up.
Red Sox 11, Mariners 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 10 1:39 AM
- Brock Holt single to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two outs. On the play, Jose Iglesias advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jackie Bradley Jr. due up.
Red Sox 11, Mariners 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 10 1:21 AM
- Jose Iglesias single to left scored David Ortiz with two outs. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brock Holt due up.
Red Sox 10, Mariners 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 10 1:20 AM
- Shane Victorino lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 9, Mariners 7 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 10 1:07 AM
- Jackie Bradley Jr. two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 8, Mariners 7 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 10 12:07 AM
- Dustin Pedroia single to right scored Daniel Nava with none out. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 7, Mariners 7 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 9 11:40 PM
- Michael Saunders triple to right center scored Kyle Seager with one out. Runner on third and Mike Zunino due up.
Red Sox 6, Mariners 7 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 9 11:28 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead off Home Run 2 (13) to center. Kyle Seager due up.
Red Sox 6, Mariners 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 9 11:17 PM
- Brock Holt sacrifice fly to right scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two outs. Runner on first and Jackie Bradley Jr. due up.
Red Sox 6, Mariners 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 9 11:14 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored David Ortiz. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 5, Mariners 5 Top 3, 1 OutJul 9 11:09 PM
- Dustin Pedroia one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Shane Victorino. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 3, Mariners 5 Top 3, 1 OutJul 9 11:06 PM
- Brad Miller double to right scored Justin Smoak, Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on second and Nick Franklin due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 9 10:56 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (18) to right. Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 1, Mariners 2 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 9 10:29 PM
- Kendrys Morales two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Raul Ibanez. Kyle Seager due up.
Red Sox 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 9 10:23 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21