Salazar wins MLB debut as Indians down Blue JaysJul 11, 2013 - 7:43 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Danny Salazar tossed six superb innings in his major league debut to lead the Cleveland Indians over the Toronto Blue Jays, 4-2, in the rubber match of a three-game set at Progressive Field.
Asdrubal Cabrera homered and Lonnie Chisenhall added two hits and an RBI for the Indians, who won for just the third time in nine games.
Salazar (1-0) allowed just one run on two hits, striking out seven and walking one for Cleveland, which won a series from Toronto for the first time since 2010.
"Once I stepped on the mound I wasn't nervous," said Salazar, who will be sent back to the minors after the game. "I was only thinking about throwing the ball. I know I have good guys behind me."
R.A. Dickey (8-10) suffered the loss for the Blue Jays, yielding three runs -- two earned -- on six hits over six innings. He struck out seven and walked three, as Toronto has lost six of its last nine games.
Cabrera started the scoring for the Indians, clubbing his seventh homer of the season in the first inning.
Salazar, 23, cruised through the first five innings, only allowing a lead-off walk to Rajai Davis in the third inning.
Toronto finally got to Salazar in the sixth, when Jose Bautista doubled home Josh Thole to even the score at 1-1. Thole's leadoff single was the first hit allowed by Salazar in the game.
"From the start of the game he (Salazar) was poised and attacked the zone," said Cleveland manager Terry Francona. "This was exciting for the organization."
Cleveland made a winner of Salazar in the bottom half of the frame, getting to Dickey for two more runs. With the bases loaded, Chisenhall's two-out single to left-center scored Michael Brantley. Ryan Raburn also scored on the play thanks to a a throwing error by Davis on the play, making it 3-1.
Dickey has now lost consecutive starts after winning three consecutive decisions to get back to the .500 mark.
The Indians added a run in the eighth when Carlos Santana tripled home Drew Stubbs.
Toronto got a run in the ninth off Cleveland closer Chris Perez when Colby Rasmus singled home Adam Lind with two outs. However, Perez eventually got Davis to fly out to end the game and secure his 11th save of the season.
Toronto has lost 11 of 17 overall.
The Indians won four of six games from the Blue Jays this season... Toronto is 1-2 on its current six-game road trip... Cleveland improved to 3-4 on its current 10-game homestand ... Salazar was 5-5 with a 3.08 ERA in 17 starts between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus this season ... Bautista went just 1-for-12 in the series.
- TORONTO: 2
Jul 11 2:45 PM
- Colby Rasmus singled to right scored Adam Lind. Runner on first with two outs and Maicer Izturis due up.
Blue Jays 2, Indians 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 11 2:39 PM
- Carlos Santana tripled to right scored Drew Stubbs. Runner on third with none out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Blue Jays 1, Indians 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 11 2:26 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall singled to left scored Michael Brantley and Rajai Davis's throwing error scored Ryan Raburn. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Yan Gomes due up.
Blue Jays 1, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 11 1:53 PM
- Jose Bautista doubled to left scored Josh Thole. Runner on second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Indians 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 11 1:34 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Michael Brantley due up.
Blue Jays 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 11 12:17 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 11 12:05 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21