Surging Rays complete four-game sweep of TwinsJul 11, 2013 - 7:51 PM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Back-to-back home runs by Luke Scott and Evan Longoria in the bottom of the sixth inning lifted the Tampa Bay Rays to a 4-3 win and a four-game sweep of the Minnesota Twins at Tropicana Field.
With one out and the game tied at 1-1, Scott clubbed an 0-2 sinker to right to give the Rays the lead. Longoria followed that by hammering a 1-0 pitch into the stands in left.
Matt Moore (13-3) had 10 strikeouts and allowed three runs on three hits and two walks over 7 1/3 innings to earn his fifth consecutive win. He has not lost a decision since June 14 against the Royals. Jake McGee pitched a flawless ninth to notch his first save.
The Rays have won eight straight, tied for second-longest in club history.
"It's been awesome. We've had fun...we almost don't want to have this first half end," said McGee.
Joe Mauer had two RBI while Jamey Carroll drove in the other run for the Twins, who have lost 11 of their last 12 games. Starter Mike Pelfrey (4-7) allowed three runs on eight hits in six frames.
"He (Pelfrey) looks like the ball is coming out of his hands real good," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "His breaking ball was okay, his change up was okay...he's going to give us a chance to win ball games. Hopefully, he'll be a good starter for us in this second half."
The Rays got on the board in the third. Sean Rodriguez and Matt Joyce hit back-to-back one-out singles. Wil Myers then delivered a blooper into shallow left field, plating Rodriguez.
Moore had a no-hitter through 5 2/3 innings before finally giving up a double to Brian Dozier, who scored on Carroll's base hit to center.
The Rays added one run in the seventh. Pinch-hitter Ben Zobrist tripled to right center and scored on a Myers single to center.
In the top of the eighth, Clete Thomas walked with one out, Pedro Florimon singled and Ryan Doumit drew a two-out walk to load the bases. Mauer then smacked a single to left, driving in two and cutting the deficit to 4-3.
However, Joel Peralta replaced Moore and struck out Trevor Plouffe to end the rally.
Minnesota has lost nine straight against Tampa Bay ... The Rays swept a four- game series against the Twins for the first time since August 10-13, 2001. It was also their first four-game sweep at home since April 30-May 3, 2012 against Seattle ... Moore's 13 wins broke the club record for most wins before the All-Star break, set by David Price in 2010 ... Moore was named to the All- Star game as a replacement on Thursday afternoon. He will take pitcher Yu Darvish's spot on the roster. Texas placed Darvish on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday with a strained trapezius muscle ... Scott is on a seven-game hitting streak.
- MINNESOTA: 3
TAMPA BAY: 4
Jul 11 3:10 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Clete Thomas and Pedro Florimon with two out. On the play, Eduardo Escobar advances to second. Runners on first and second with Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 3, Rays 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 11 2:52 PM
- Wil Myers single to center scored Ben Zobrist with two out. Runner on first and Luke Scott due up.
Twins 1, Rays 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 11 2:26 PM
- Evan Longoria one-out, solo Home Run (18) to left. James Loney due up.
Twins 1, Rays 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 11 1:55 PM
- Luke Scott one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Evan Longoria due up.
Twins 1, Rays 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 11 1:54 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to center scored Brian Dozier with two out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 1, Rays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 11 1:47 PM
- Wil Myers single to left scored Sean Rodriguez with one out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to second. Runners on first and second with Luke Scott due up.
Twins 0, Rays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 11 1:00 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 11 12:14 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22