Early outburst carries Tigers past RangersJul 13, 2013 - 3:59 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Doug Fister pitched six innings and Jhonny Peralta's two-run double highlighted a five-run opening frame in the Detroit Tigers' 7-2 win over the Texas Rangers.
Victor Martinez, who extended his hitting streak to 14 games with an RBI double in the second, drove in two runs as the Tigers won for the eighth time in 11 games.
Fister (7-5) gave up eight hits and a pair of runs and had five strikeouts to win for just the second time in his last 11 starts. It was his first home victory since May 14 versus Houston.
"I thought his curveball got better as the game went on. That was a big key for him," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
The AL Central leaders scored seven times over the first two innings against Justin Grimm (7-7), who was charged with 10 hits over 3 1/3 frames before being removed due to right forearm soreness.
"He left too many balls over the plate on them," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "You certainly can't let those guys get extended. You have to keep them tied up. We couldn't do it today."
A.J. Pierzynski homered and Jurickson Profar singled in the other run for the Rangers, who lost their third in a row for the first time since a season-high six-game skid from June 11-16.
It was a rough start for the Rangers in the opener of this three-game series and especially for Grimm, who allowed the first six hitters to reach base. Five of them scored.
Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter hit doubles to start the game. After Miguel Cabrera walked, Prince Fielder singled to right to load the bases. Martinez then drew a walk for a 2-0 lead before Peralta laced a double down the left- field line to bring in two more runners. With two outs, Alex Avila singled to left to create the five-run margin before Ramon Santiago grounded into a double play to end the frame.
Jackson and Hunter singled to begin the bottom of the second, and Cabrera followed with a sacrifice fly to center. Martinez then doubled to left, and Hunter was able to barely slide in safely with his hand touching the plate just before Pierzynski applied the tag.
Pierzynski homered to right-center field in the fourth. Elvis Andrus then singled, stole second and scored on Profar's base hit to right. Fister later worked out of a bases-loaded jam during that frame by striking out David Murphy.
After Grimm departed, Joseph Ortiz allowed one hit over 3 2/3 innings. The lefty retired nine straight batters until Fielder singled in the seventh.
Grimm threw 70 pitches and had his ERA rise to 6.37 ... Fister threw 106 pitches, 73 for strikes ... Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre went 0-for-4 and had a 13-game hitting streak snapped ... Texas left 10 men on base ... Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon threw a perfect 1 1/3 innings with a pair of strikeouts. He threw 10 pitches, all for strikes.
- TEXAS: 2
Jul 12 9:58 PM
- Jurickson Profar singled to right scoring Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with two outs and Leonys Martin due up.
Rangers 2, Tigers 7 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 12 8:23 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Tigers 7 Top 4, 1 OutJul 12 8:17 PM
- Victor Martinez doubled to left scoring Torii Hunter. Runner on second with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rangers 0, Tigers 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 12 7:55 PM
- Miguel Cabrera sacrifice fly out to center scored Austin Jackson. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Rangers 0, Tigers 6 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 12 7:50 PM
- Alex Avila singled to left scoring Victor Martinez. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ramon Santiago due up.
Rangers 0, Tigers 5 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 12 7:35 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to left scoring Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Andy Dirks due up.
Rangers 0, Tigers 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 12 7:31 PM
- Victor Martinez walked scoring Torii Hunter on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rangers 0, Tigers 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 12 7:30 PM
- Torii Hunter doubled to left scoring Austin Jackson. Runner on second with none out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Rangers 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 12 7:20 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 12 7:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22