Pedroia helps Red Sox edge A'sJul 13, 2013 - 6:52 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Dustin Pedroia hit a tie-breaking two-run single in the eighth inning to lift the Boston Red Sox over the Oakland Athletics, 4-2, in the opener of a three-game set between first-place clubs.
Brock Holt also had a two-run single for the AL East-leading Red Sox, whose 58 wins before the All-Star break are the most in franchise history.
John Lackey (7-6) earned the victory after allowing two runs on three hits over seven innings. He was matched pitch-for-pitch by Jarrod Parker, who retired the final 16 batters he faced before being pulled to start the eighth.
"I was moving the ball in and out and being able to get some early contact. That helped me go later into the game after a long inning like that," Parker said.
Jose Iglesias greeted Sean Doolittle (3-3) with a single, and Shane Victorino was hit by a pitch with two outs. Ryan Cook relieved Doolittle, and after Victorino stole second to get himself into scoring position, Pedroia lined a base hit to left to bring in both runners.
Andrew Bailey shook off a leadoff walk in the eighth, and Koji Uehara needed 14 pitches to strike out the side in the ninth en route to his eighth save.
Jed Lowrie hit a solo homer for the A's, who still pace the AL West despite dropping back-to-back games.
The Red Sox jumped on top 2-0 in the second inning on Holt's two-out, two-run single. Mike Napoli and Daniel Nava scored on the base hit to left, with the latter reaching on a hit-by-pitch.
Parker threw high and inside, and Nava ducked and had the ball ricochet off his bat and into the side of home plate umpire C.B. Bucknor's helmet. Bucknor stayed on his feet when he was initially hit but was clearly dazed and was eventually replaced behind the plate by second base umpire Bill Miller. Nava, meanwhile, went to first even though replay showed the ball may have hit his bat instead of his shoulder.
Lackey did not allow a hit until Seth Smith doubled to lead off the fifth inning. John Jaso drove in Smith with a one-out single before Pedroia saved a run by making a diving stop to start an inning-ending double play with runners on the corners.
"I probably didn't have my best stuff like I had my last few times out and still was able to do pretty good against a pretty good team," said Lackey.
Lowrie tied it when he led off the sixth with his seventh home run of the year.
Parker, who also gave up three hits and two runs, has not lost since May 22, a span of nine starts in which he has not allowed more than five hits ... Boston won 57 games before the break in 1978 and 2008 ... The Red Sox had lost six straight at Oakland Coliseum ... Lackey has given up three earned runs or less in 14 of his 16 starts this season ... Red Sox outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury had his 19-game hitting streak snapped ... Boston acquired left-handed reliever Matt Thornton and cash from the Chicago White Sox in exchange for minor league outfielder Brandon Jacobs on Friday.
- BOSTON: 4
Jul 13 1:16 AM
- Dustin Pedroia single to left scored Jose Iglesias and Shane Victorino. Runner on first with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 4, Athletics 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 13 12:39 AM
- Jed Lowrie lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 13 12:08 AM
- John Jaso single to right scored Seth Smith. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 12 11:56 PM
- Brock Holt single to left scored Mike Napoli and Daniel Nava. On the play, Brock Holt advances to third on John Jaso's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 12 10:51 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 12 10:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21