Scherzer fails in pursuit of history; Rangers beat TigersJul 14, 2013 - 4:30 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Mitch Moreland and Adrian Beltre clubbed two- run homers, while Max Scherzer's unbeaten string came to a crashing halt as Texas topped Detroit, 7-1, in the middle test of a three-game set.
Scherzer (13-1) lasted six full frames, charged with eight hits and four runs while walking two and fanning six for his first loss since September 23 of last season against Minnesota.
The right-hander went 19 consecutive regular-season starts without losing, but fell short of matching Roger Clemens' 14-0 start to the 1986 campaign for the Red Sox.
"Ran into a good team," Scherzer said. "They swung the bat well. I threw some good pitches, they hit it. I made some bad pitches, they hit it even further. That's what happens when you're not quite 100 percent on your game."
A.J. Pierzynski added two RBI and Nelson Cruz finished with four hits and scored twice for the Rangers, who snapped a three-game skid.
Derek Holland (8-4) tossed seven innings of five-hit ball, allowing one run and five walks against seven strikeouts.
"Scherzer was 13-0, you have to give him credit," Holland said. "But tonight I was able to make some pitches when I needed to, and my defense did a great job. It's up there with the big games this year."
A fourth-inning RBI single from Hernan Perez was all the offense for the Tigers.
Detroit left the bases loaded in the bottom of the third after Holland fanned Victor Martinez swinging, and Texas responded in the fourth with the first runs of the contest.
Cruz opened with a double and moved up on a Beltre groundout before coming in on Pierzynski's fly to left. Elvis Andrus then walked and Moreland launched a two-run shot to left for a 3-0 score.
Jhonny Peralta started the home half with a single, stole second, moved up on a groundout and scored on a two-out hit from Perez. However, Pierzynski restored Texas' three-run edge in the fifth with a two-out RBI double.
Leonys Martin led off Texas' half of the inning with a walk, stole second and moved to third on an errant pickoff before crossing the plate on Pierzynski's hit.
The Rangers extended their advantage to 7-1 in the ninth, as Cruz singled home Ian Kinsler and Beltre followed with a two-run shot -- with both hits coming with two down.
Scherzer had been 4-0 with a 3.35 ERA in seven previous starts against Texas, and the four earned runs allowed was one off his season high that was set twice, with the last being May 15 against Houston ... Kinsler set a new Rangers record with his 162nd career stolen base, eclipsing the long-held mark by Bump Wills ... Martinez saw his hit streak snapped at 14 games after going 0-for-4.
- TEXAS: 7
Jul 13 10:11 PM
- Adrian Beltre two-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Nelson Cruz. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Rangers 7, Tigers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 13 10:04 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to second scored Ian Kinsler with two outs. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 5, Tigers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 13 10:03 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski double to left scored Leonys Martin with two outs. Runner on second and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 4, Tigers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 13 8:50 PM
- Hernan Perez single to center scored Jhonny Peralta with two outs. Runner on first and Austin Jackson due up.
Rangers 3, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 13 8:37 PM
- Mitch Moreland two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Elvis Andrus. Jurickson Profar due up.
Rangers 3, Tigers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 13 8:24 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski sacrifice fly to left scored Nelson Cruz with two outs. None on and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Tigers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 13 8:19 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 13 7:16 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22