Twins rock Sabathia, head to break with series win over YanksJul 14, 2013 - 11:14 PM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Aaron Hicks hit an early three-run homer, while Trevor Plouffe finished with two hits and three runs scored, as Minnesota knocked off the Yankees, 10-4, in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Pedro Florimon, Jamey Carroll, Justin Morneau and Brian Dozier added an RBI apiece for the Twins, who reach the All-Star break having won the last two in the series to erase a six-game slide.
"Winning here is never easy, but our guys certainly were excited at the prospect," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "The ball fell our way today. We got some solid hits, some bloops, and things went our way here for the first time in a long time."
Kyle Gibson (2-2) did enough to snag the win, allowing five hits, four walks and three runs -- two earned -- over five-plus innings.
Ichiro Suzuki put together a 3-for-5 performance with a solo homer, two RBI and a pair of runs scored for the Yankees, who have dropped five of eight. Robinson Cano and Chris Stewart also knocked in a run each in defeat.
"We need to be more consistent, learn to stay out of our own way, and avoid these stretches where we can't score," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "We have to become more consistent offensively, and if we do that, we're going to turn it around."
CC Sabathia (9-8) was tagged for eight hits and as many runs -- but only three earned -- over his four-inning outing. The eight runs were the highest total surrendered by Sabathia in 2013, and most since giving up nine at Tampa on Oct. 2, 2009.
Minnesota picked up two runs with two outs in the second, thanks to consecutive RBI singles from Carroll and Florimon.
Sabathia ran into more trouble in the third, allowing a one-out double to Morneau, then Plouffe reached on an Eduardo Nunez throwing error ahead of Hicks' three-run blast to make it 5-0.
The Yanks got on the board in the home half, as Suzuki led off with a hit then went to third as Zoilo Almonte reached on a Dozier error. Suzuki scored on a Cano single.
The visitors continued to strafe Sabathia, tacking on three more in the fourth to extend a 5-1 lead to an 8-1 edge. Carroll worked a leadoff walk and Dozier doubled two batters later ahead of a walk to Mauer which loaded the bases. Morneau's infield hit to short scored Carroll, then Yanks first baseman Lyle Overbay booted a Ryan Doumit grounder to score two more.
"He doesn't make mistakes, so when he does, we have to learn how to capitalize on them," said Doumit. "He's had our number, but to put up an eight-spot on him was good for us."
New York managed to cut its deficit to 8-3 in the home portion on a pair of fielder's choice grounders from Stewart and Suzuki.
Suzuki's leadoff shot in the seventh made it a four-run contest, but Dozier doubled home Florimon in the eighth. Minnesota loaded the bases in the ninth on singles from Plouffe and Clete Thomas along with a walk to Hicks, before Stewart's passed ball plated Plouffe.
Minnesota won a series in the Bronx for the first time since May 8-10, 2001 ... Despite the setback, the Yankees took five of seven from the Twins this season ... Cano drove in at least one run in each of those contests ... Morneau ended with three hits for Minnesota, while Overbay and Cano each collected two hits for New York ... Both clubs are off the diamond until this coming Friday, when the Twins host the Indians and the Yankees head to Boston.
- MINNESOTA: 10
NEW YORK: 4
Jul 14 4:46 PM
- Joba Chamberlain wild pitch scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. Runners on second and third with two outs and Pedro Florimon at the plate.
Twins 10, Yankees 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 14 4:31 PM
- Brian Dozier double to center scored Pedro Florimon with one out. Runner on second with one out and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 9, Yankees 4 Top 8, 1 OutJul 14 4:06 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Zoilo Almonte due up.
Twins 8, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 14 3:46 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki fielder's choice to second scored Eduardo Nunez with two out. Chris Stewart out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Zoilo Almonte due up.
Twins 8, Yankees 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 14 2:53 PM
- Chris Stewart fielder's choice to short scored Lyle Overbay with one out. Luis Cruz out at second, Eduardo Nunez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Twins 8, Yankees 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 14 2:51 PM
- Lyle Overbay fielding error scored Brian Dozier and Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Ryan Doumit was tagged out between first and second, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 8, Yankees 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 14 2:42 PM
- Justin Morneau infield single to short scored Jamey Carroll with one out. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second and Brian Dozier advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 6, Yankees 1 Top 4, 1 OutJul 14 2:38 PM
- Robinson Cano single to right scored Ichiro Suzuki with none out. On the play, Zoilo Almonte advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Travis Hafner due up.
Twins 5, Yankees 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 14 2:16 PM
- Aaron Hicks two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Justin Morneau and Trevor Plouffe. Clete Thomas due up.
Twins 5, Yankees 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 14 2:07 PM
- Pedro Florimon single to center scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 2, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 14 1:36 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to right scored Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Pedro Florimon due up.
Twins 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 14 1:35 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 1:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22