A's outlast Red Sox to hit All-Star break on up noteJul 15, 2013 - 4:36 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Donaldson hit a game-tying two-run homer and then the game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the 11th inning, lifting Oakland to a 3-2 victory over Boston in the finale of a three-game set.
Matt Thornton (0-4) walked pinch-hitter Chris Young to start the frame, and Eric Sogard sacrificed him to second. Coco Crisp's grounder failed to move him, then Derek Norris drew a pinch-hit base on balls ahead of Donaldson's solid hit to center to end the contest.
"I really believe that the guys in this clubhouse really believe that we have one of the best teams in baseball," Donaldson said. "It's just one of those things, where when we get an opportunity to play a good team like the Red Sox or the Pirates or the Cardinals, we're out there sending a message that we are a good team, that we're for real."
Ryan Cook (2-2) turned in two scoreless relief innings to pick up the win for the Athletics, who hit the All-Star break having won seven of their last 10 and hold a two-game edge over Texas in the AL West.
In his 400th career appearance, Bartolo Colon allowed eight hits and two runs with four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
Dustin Pedroia and Brock Holt knocked in a run apiece for the Red Sox, who dropped the final two games in the series but still hold a 2 1/2-game edge in the AL East over Tampa Bay.
Brandon Workman's first major-league start was nearly flawless over the first six frames.
"Obviously, I had a good outing," Workman said. "I was locating my pitches pretty well for the most part and had a lot of success with it, so it's something I think I can continue to do and build off of for the next time."
He yielded just one walk and no hits, but Crisp was a half-step ahead of Pedroia's throw on a grounder to second to start the home seventh. Two batters later, Donaldson drilled a pitch deep to left center to tie the game, 2-2, and signal the end of the young right-hander's outing.
Yoenis Cespedes began the bottom of the 10th with a single and took second when Sox shortstop Jose Iglesias' throw ended up in the stands. However, after Josh Reddick struck out, he was caught stealing third for the second out and Nate Freiman grounded out to end the threat.
The Sox left the bases loaded in the 11th when Holt was caught looking at a third strike.
Boston broke through in the sixth, as Jacoby Ellsbury, Daniel Nava and Pedroia combined on three straight singles to produce a run.
It was 2-0 in the seventh, as Mike Carp led off with a double and scored two batters later as Holt dumped a single to left.
The A's have won eight of their last nine home games with the Red Sox, dating back to last July, and 36 of 60 home tilts since the start of the 2000 season ... Oakland reliever Grant Balfour was a late addition to the American League All-Star squad ...Prior to the contest, the Red Sox recalled left-hander Drake Britton from Triple-A Pawtucket and optioned outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. to the PawSox.
- BOSTON: 2
Jul 14 7:47 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to right scored Chris Young with two out to end the game.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 3 Bot 11, 2 OutsJul 14 7:44 PM
- Josh Donaldson one-out, two-run Home Run (16) to center scored Coco Crisp. Jed Lowrie due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 14 6:17 PM
- Brock Holt single to left scored Mike Carp with one out. Runner on first and Jose Iglesias due up.
Red Sox 2, Athletics 0 Top 7, 1 OutJul 14 6:00 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. On the play, Daniel Nava advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 1, Athletics 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 14 5:46 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 4:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21