Twins top IndiansJul 21, 2013 - 5:16 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Ryan Doumit knocked in a run and scored the eventual game-winner during Minnesota's three-run sixth inning, as the Twins edged the Cleveland Indians, 3-2, in the middle test of a three-game set at Target Field.
Chris Colabello recorded an RBI single and Clete Thomas also drove in a run to give the Twins their fourth straight victory following a 1-12 stretch.
Kevin Correia (7-6) gave up two runs on three hits and one walk over six innings to pick up his second win in his last nine starts.
"I feel like I've been 6-6 for two months," Correia said. "I thought I might not get it tonight, but then we came back and capitalized and got three runs and it ended up being enough."
Jason Kipnis belted a two-run homer for the Indians, who have lost the first two games out of the break after winning four in row heading into it.
"You can make excuses for a while, but we're going to need some guys to start stepping up here," Kipnis said. "We're kind of shooting ourselves in the foot right now in these last two games."
Rich Hill (1-2) took the loss behind Corey Kluber, who struck out seven and allowed just three hits and two walks over his five-inning scoreless stint.
Correia and Kluber traded zeroes over the first five frames and were rarely threatened while doing so.
Things changed in the sixth, however.
Lonnie Chisenhall led off the top half with a base hit, and two outs later Kipnis went the other way and cleared the left-field wall for his 14th home run of the season.
Having thrown 93 pitches and dealing with tightness in his left hip, Kluber was pulled for Hill to begin the bottom half, and the Twins took advantage with three runs. Joe Mauer led off with a walk and moved to third on Justin Morneau's single through the right side. Doumit followed with a high chopper to third, and Chisenhall's throw home was well wide, allowing Mauer to cross the plate and both runners to move up a base.
Bryan Shaw relieved Hill and was greeted by Colabello's run-scoring flare to right. Shaw appeared to get out of the inning with a 2-2 tie after recording a strikeout and inducing a potential double-play off the bat of Thomas, but Kipnis bobbled the ground ball and Thomas beat out Asdrubal Cabrera's throw from second as Doumit crossed with the go-ahead run.
Jared Burton stranded a pair in the away seventh, Doumit threw out Cabrera trying to turn a single into a double in Casey Fein's scoreless eighth, and Glen Perkins worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to post his 23rd save.
Perkins has not allowed a run in his last 18 appearances.
Colabello's RBI was the first of his career ... The Twins have won by one run on consecutive days after dropping their previous six one-run games ... Kluber has a 2.22 ERA (6 ER, 24 1/3 innings) in four July starts ... Cleveland's pitching staff has not allowed a home run in 76 straight innings ... Cleveland turns to its All-Star on Sunday, as Justin Masterson looks to salvage the series when he faces Twins lefty Scott Diamond.
- CLEVELAND: 2
Jul 20 10:07 PM
- Clete Thomas grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Ryan Doumit. Chris Colabello out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Pedro Florimon due up.
Indians 2, Twins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 20 9:14 PM
- Chris Colabello singled to right scored Justin Morneau. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Aaron Hicks due up.
Indians 2, Twins 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 20 9:10 PM
- Ryan Doumit reached on a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Doumit advances to second and Justin Morneau advances to third. Also on play, Lonnie Chisenhall's throwing error scored Joe Mauer. Runners on second and third with none out and Chris Colabello due up.
Indians 2, Twins 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 20 9:08 PM
- Jason Kipnis two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Michael Bourn. Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 2, Twins 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 20 8:57 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 7:12 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21