O's down RangersJul 21, 2013 - 6:12 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Adam Jones went 2-for-5 with a homer and two RBI, while Miguel Gonzalez put together another effective outing to carry the Baltimore Orioles past the Texas Rangers, 7-4, in the second installment of a three-game series.
Gonzalez (8-3) allowed just one run on eight hits and struck out three without walking a batter over 6 2/3 innings. It was the eighth consecutive quality start for the right-hander, and the Orioles' bats backed him with 17 hits.
"He's been really good," Jones said of Gonzalez. "He goes out there and competes. He's been giving us a great chance to win."
Brian Roberts smacked a two-run single during a two-hit night, Matt Wieters had three hits and Chris Davis went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for Baltimore, which went 7-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
Both playoff contenders came in with 54 wins, but the Orioles have been playing better of late, winning six of their last seven games.
The Rangers have dropped six of seven after they were a season-high 16 games over .500 following a win at Baltimore on July 9.
They may be looking for another starter after their latest project, Ross Wolf, was knocked around following a short rain delay to start Saturday's game. In his third career start, Wolf (1-3) was charged with seven runs on nine hits and two walks and was pulled after failing to record an out in the third inning.
"It's obvious that we need to pitch better," Texas manager Ron Washington said of his team's recent struggles. "It's obvious that we need to start playing the type of defense we know we can play and it's obvious that we need to start hitting with runners in scoring position."
On a day they inducted future Hall-of-Fame catcher Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez into their Hall of Fame, the Rangers didn't come to life until the later innings.
Ian Kinsler got Texas on the board with a sacrifice fly in the seventh, and the hosts pounded out four hits and three runs against Tommy Hunter an inning later to pull within 7-4.
Mitch Moreland chipped in an RBI single, David Murphy added a two-run base hit, and the Rangers brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth with a pair of two-out singles.
Jim Johnson, however, closed the door by retiring A.J. Pierzynski on a ground ball to lock down his 35th save.
Nate McLouth opened the game with a single, Nick Markakis worked a one-out walk and Jones and Davis followed with RBI singles to left field.
McLouth scored again in the second frame after legging out a triple and coming in on Manny Machado's base hit to right, and the O's poured it on with four runs in their next turn.
Jones' 20th home run of the season reached Greene's Hill in straightaway center leading off the frame, and a double, walk and single loaded the bases and marked the end of Wolf's brief outing.
Henry Urrutia, in his second career at-bat after getting his contract selected by Triple-A Norfolk earlier Saturday, greeted Joseph Ortiz with an RBI single, and Roberts hit one over the head of Nelson Cruz in right field to plate a pair for a 7-0 Baltimore cushion.
The Orioles have taken four of the six meetings against the Rangers this year, and regardless of Sunday's result, they will win the season series for just the second time in the last nine seasons (2-6-1) ... Urrutia, signed by the Orioles on July 11, 2012, became the 12th Cuban-born player to see action with Baltimore ... Texas' bullpen combined for seven scoreless innings and has given up just one run over the past 10 games (31 2/3 innings) ... The Rangers will turn to Martin Perez in Sunday's finale while Baltimore counters with Chris Tillman.
- BALTIMORE: 7
Jul 20 11:47 PM
- David Murphy singled to center scored A.J. Pierzynski and Mitch Moreland with two outs. Runner on first and Leonys Martin due up.
Orioles 7, Rangers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 20 11:31 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to left scored Adrian Beltre with one out. On the play, A.J. Pierzynski advances to second. Runners on first and second and Elvis Andrus due up.
Orioles 7, Rangers 2 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 20 11:30 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly out to left scored David Murphy with two outs. Runner on second and Jurickson Profar due up.
Orioles 7, Rangers 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 20 11:11 PM
- Brian Roberts singled to right scored Matt Wieters and J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Henry Urrutia advances to third. Briant Roberts is out at second, right fielder to second baseman to shortstop. Runner on third and Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 7, Rangers 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 20 9:50 PM
- Henry Urrutia singled to right scored Chris Davis with none out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to second and Matt Wieters advances to third. Bases loaded and Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 5, Rangers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 20 9:46 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (20) to center. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 4, Rangers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 20 9:33 PM
- Manny Machado singled to right scored Nate McLouth with one out. Runner on first and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 20 9:16 PM
- Chris Davis singled to left scored Nick Markakis with one out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 20 8:56 PM
- Adam Jones singled to left scored Nate McLouth with one out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 20 8:53 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 8:47 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22