Wilson, Angels blank A'sJul 21, 2013 - 5:09 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - C.J. Wilson worked 8 1/3 shutout innings as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim blanked the Oakland Athletics, 2-0, in the middle test of a three-game set.
Wilson (10-6), who has won six of his last seven starts, scattered three hits and two walks while fanning eight.
"I tried to stay ahead of them tonight. I don't strikeout everybody, so I tried to use the defense as much as possible. I had more pitches in the mix tonight and I was able to hit my spots," said Wilson.
Ernesto Frieri stranded the game-tying run in the ninth to nail down his 24th save of the season.
Alberto Callaspo hit a solo homer and Josh Hamilton drove in a run for the Angels (46-49), who moved within three games of .500.
Dan Straily (6-3) was touched for two runs on eight hits over seven innings to absorb the loss.
The Halo's took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Mike Trout was hit by a pitch, moved to third on an Albert Pujols single then scored on Hamilton's sacrifice fly to left field.
It would be the only run support Wilson would need. The lefty gave up a single to open the second inning then retired the next 18 batter before issuing a leadoff walk to Derek Norris in the eighth inning.
"We're in a little bit of an offensive funk. C.J. pitched well tonight and kept the ball down. We're grinding, but we're not getting any results," said A's manager Bob Melvin.
Callaspo added a solo homer in the seventh to make it a two-run game
Callaspo stroked his first homer since June 9 ... Trout extended his hitting- streak to 12 games ... LAA is 32-12 when scoring first this season ... Pujols owns a .355 batting average (1072-for-3200) in the second half of the season, tops among active players and fifth in MLB history ... Oakland lost for just the 12th time this season when its starting pitcher lasts at least seven innings ... The A's have scored three runs or fewer in each of their last eight games.
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 20 11:41 PM
- Alberto Callaspo lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Hank Conger due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 20 10:57 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly out to left scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 20 9:24 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 9:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22