Masterson dominant as Cleveland tops MinnesotaJul 21, 2013 - 9:22 PM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Justin Masterson spun seven innings of one- hit ball to help the Cleveland Indians avoid a three-game sweep with a 7-1 win over the Minnesota Twins at Target Field.
Masterson (11-7), who carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning, gave up just one run and struck out eight without walking a batter.
Jason Kipnis went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer and three RBI and Michael Brantley added a three-run triple for the Indians, winners in five of their last seven games.
Brian Dozier had two hits and scored the lone run for the Twins, who had won four straight entering the contest.
Scott Diamond (5-9) allowed six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits and three walks over 4 2/3 innings.
The Indians plated one run in the second and two in the third to take an early 3-0 lead.
In the second, Mark Reynolds walked, moved to second on a fielder's choice before advancing to third on a Ryan Raburn single. Mike Aviles followed with a sacrifice fly to right to score Reynolds.
In the third, Asdrubal Cabrera reached on Trevor Plouffe's fielding error and Kipnis followed with a shot that just cleared the wall in the left field to make it a three-run game.
The Tribe broke the game open with a three-run fifth inning. With the bases loaded and two outs, Brantley laced a triple to the wall in right-center to make it 6-0.
Dozier ended Masterson's no-hit bid with a leadoff double in the seventh. Dozier fisted a sinker into shallow center field and Drew Stubbs was unable to come up with the sliding catch. Dozier moved to third on Chris Herrmann's groundout before coming around after Kipnis booted a Joe Mauer grounder.
Kipnis' RBI single in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
The Indians haven't had a no-hitter since Len Barker's perfect game in 1981 ... Raburn had two hits ... Twenty-six of the 64 runs Diamond has given up this season have been scored in the fifth inning ... Minnesota went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
- CLEVELAND: 7
Jul 21 4:53 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to left scored Mike Aviles. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 7, Twins 1 Top 9, 1 OutJul 21 4:45 PM
- Joe Mauer reached first on Jason Kipnis' fielding error. On the play, Kipnis' fielding error scored Brian Dozier. Runner on first with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Indians 6, Twins 1 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 21 4:14 PM
- Michael Brantley tripled to center scored Jason Kipnis, Nick Swisher and Carlos Santana. Runner on third with two outs and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 6, Twins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 21 3:38 PM
- Jason Kipnis none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 21 2:58 PM
- Mike Aviles sacrifice fly out to right scored Mark Reynolds. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 21 2:42 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 2:14 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21