Sox edge Yanks in extras on Napoli home runJul 22, 2013 - 5:15 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Mike Napoli got a second shot at redemption and took advantage with a solo home run to straightaway center field in the 11th inning to give the Boston Red Sox a thrilling 8-7 victory over the rival New York Yankees in the rubber match of a three-game set at Fenway Park.
Napoli crushed a three-run homer earlier in the four-hour, 46-minute affair, but bounced into a double play with the bases loaded to end the eighth with the game tied.
It stayed 7-7 until Napoli sent Adam Warren's offering into the second row of seats in center field for Boston's ninth walk-off win.
Jonny Gomes added a solo homer and Shane Victorino knocked in a pair of runs for the AL East-leading Red Sox, who head into their four-game series against Tampa Bay holding a 1 1/2-game lead over the Rays.
The Yankees, who received three hits and a pair of RBI singles from Robinson Cano, have lost four of five to fall seven games back in the division race.
Warren (1-1) took the loss behind CC Sabathia, who turned in a forgettable performance on his 33rd birthday, yielding seven runs on nine hits and two walks over five-plus frames.
Sabathia's counterpart, Ryan Dempster, was in line for his first career win in seven starts against the Yankees but did not factor in the decision. Dempster was charged with five runs -- three earned -- on six hits and four walks in 5 1/3 innings of work.
Seven consecutive runs put the Red Sox in front by a 7-3 margin before the Yankees chipped away with a pair in the sixth via RBI singles from Brett Gardner and Cano.
New York got two more in the seventh to tie it, mostly thanks to Jose Iglesias' throwing error. The rookie third baseman's wild toss on Chris Stewart's sacrifice bunt attempt allowed Vernon Wells to score, and Luis Cruz followed with a run-scoring groundout.
The Yankees bullpen was terrific behind Sabathia, with the four relievers prior to Warren giving up just one hit over five scoreless frames.
Pedro Beato (1-0), with the help of Jarrod Saltalamacchia throwing out Eduardo Nunez on a steal attempt, anchored Boston's pen and picked up the victory.
A pair of errors -- one by Dempster and the other by Saltalamacchia trying to nab Ichiro Suzuki attempting to steal second -- led to a pair of New York runs in the first inning. Gardner scored on the catcher's errant throw, and Suzuki came around on Wells' one-out base hit to left field.
Cano made it 3-0 in favor of the Yankees with an RBI single in the second, but the Red Sox rallied for four runs in their third turn at the plate.
Jacoby Ellsbury started things with a double down the right-field line, and Dustin Pedroia put Boston on the board with a one-out single. After David Ortiz reached on a base hit, Napoli crushed a high, inside fastball onto Lansdowne St. beyond the left-field wall for a 4-3 Red Sox lead.
Boston added two more in the fourth. A hit batsman and two singles loaded the bases for Victorino, who chopped a base hit into left field to bring in Stephen Drew and Iglesias.
Gomes made it a 7-3 game in the fifth when he abused a Sabathia offering with a towering blast that hit midway up the light stand above the Green Monster.
Napoli has 12 career multi-home run games ... With their MLB-best 20th series win, the Red Sox already matched their 2012 total ... Boston is undefeated in its last nine completed home series (8-0-1) ... Sabathia is 0-2 with a 7.48 ERA in four career starts on his birthday ... Cano extended his hitting streak to 12 games ... Dempster came in 0-5 with a lofty 7.29 ERA in six career matchups with New York.
- NEW YORK: 7
Jul 22 12:57 AM
- Mike Napoli two-out, solo Home Run 2 (13) to center to end the game.
Yankees 7, Red Sox 8 Bot 11, 2 OutsJul 22 12:53 AM
- Luis Cruz ground out short to first scored Eduardo Nunez with two out. On the play, Chris Stewart advances to third. Runner on third and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 7, Red Sox 7 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 21 11:02 PM
- Chris Stewart sacrificed and reached first on Jose Iglesias's throwing error scoring Vernon Wells with one out. On the play, Eduardo Nunez advances to third. Runners on second and third with Luis Cruz due up.
Yankees 6, Red Sox 7 Top 7, 1 OutJul 21 11:01 PM
- Robinson Cano single to left scored Chris Stewart with one out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to second and Brett Gardner advances to third. Bases loaded and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 7 Top 6, 1 OutJul 21 10:26 PM
- Brett Gardner single to right scored Eduardo Nunez with one out. On the play, Chris Stewart advances to second. Runners on first and second with chiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 7 Top 6, 1 OutJul 21 10:18 PM
- Jonny Gomes lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 21 10:01 PM
- Shane Victorino single to left scored Stephen Drew and Jose Iglesias with none out. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second. Runners on first and second with Dustin Pedroia due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 21 9:40 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, three-run Home Run (12) to left scored Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz. Jonny Gomes due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 21 9:19 PM
- Dustin Pedroia single to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Runner on first and David Ortiz due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 21 9:15 PM
- Robinson Cano single to center scored Chris Stewart with two out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runners on first and third with Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 21 8:47 PM
- Vernon Wells single to left scored Ichiro Suzuki with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second with Travis Hafner due up.
Yankees 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 21 8:19 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki stole second. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third and Brett Gardner scored on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's throwing error. Runner on third and Robinson Cano at the plate.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 21 8:14 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 8:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21