Dodgers take over 1st place in NL WestJul 23, 2013 - 6:30 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - A.J. Ellis went 4-for-6 with a home run and a career-high five RBI to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers in a 14-5 rout of the Toronto Blue Jays in the opener of a three-game interleague set.
Skip Schumaker hit a three-run homer, Carl Crawford added three hits and two RBI and Andre Ethier finished with a pair of doubles and three runs scored for the Dodgers, who improved to 21-5 since June 21.
"I know as fast as it comes is as fast as it goes," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "We'll take this game for what it is, we were able to score today. Tomorrow is a whole new day."
With the win and an Arizona loss, Los Angeles moved one-half game ahead of the Diamondbacks for first place in the NL West. It is the first time this season the Dodgers have had sole possession of first place.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (8-3) gave up four runs on nine hits and two walks over 5 1/3 innings to earn the win.
Mark DeRosa went 3-for-4 with an RBI, while Melky Cabrera and Colby Rasmus added two hits and one RBI apiece for the Blue Jays, who have dropped seven of their last eight games.
Josh Johnson (1-6) was pounded for five runs on seven hits over two-plus innings to absorb the loss.
"That was pitiful," said a frustrated Johnson. "Don't like it but, we didn't even battle."
The Dodgers posted four runs in the second inning to jump out to an early lead. Ethier hit a ground-rule double and Ellis followed with a two-run homer to center field. After Juan Uribe was hit by a pitch and Mark Ellis singled, Crawford laced a single to center to score Uribe and Yasiel Puig followed with another run-scoring hit.
Los Angeles added one in the third as Ethier doubled and scored on A.J. Ellis' base hit to center.
Toronto broke through in the home half with a pair of runs. With two on and two outs, Cabrera singled to center to score Edwin Encarnacion. DeRosa followed with a bloop single to right to plate Adam Lind.
Adrian Gonzalez scored on Ethier's double-play ground out in the fourth, and the Dodgers added four more runs in the sixth.
Hanley Ramirez walked and Ethier reached on a Lind fielding error. Ellis followed with a base hit to center field to score Ramirez. After Schumaker singled to load the bases, Uribe grounded out to short, but it was enough to score Ethier.
Mark Ellis followed with a sacrifice fly to center and Crawford capped the inning with an RBI single.
In the home half, Cabrera scored on Brett Lawrie's groundout and Rasmus crossed the plate after a wild pitch to make it 10-4.
Los Angeles, though, scored four more runs in the seventh to make it a 10-run game. With runners at second and third, A.J. Ellis roped a base hit to right to score Gonzalez. Schumaker followed with a shot to right field to make it 14-4.
Rasmus singled home DeRosa in the eighth to account for the final margin.
The teams combined for 29 hits ... The Blue Jays committed five errors ... Ramirez went 2-for-5 with a double and two runs scored ... Los Angeles finished 10-for-19 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 14
Jul 22 10:30 PM
- Colby Rasmus single to right scored Mark DeRosa with one out. Runner on first with one out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Dodgers 14, Blue Jays 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 22 10:07 PM
- Skip Schumaker one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Hanley Ramirez and A.J. Ellis. Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 14, Blue Jays 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 22 9:43 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to right scored Adrian Gonzalez with one out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 11, Blue Jays 4 Top 7, 1 OutJul 22 9:42 PM
- Jose Dominguez wild pitch scored Colby Rasmus with two out. Brett Lawrie advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Reyes at the plate.
Dodgers 10, Blue Jays 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 22 9:33 PM
- Brett Lawrie fielder's choice to third scored Melky Cabrera with two out. J.P. Arencibia out at second, Colby Rasmus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Dodgers 10, Blue Jays 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 22 9:32 PM
- Carl Crawford single to center scored Skip Schumaker with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 10, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 22 9:20 PM
- Mark Ellis sacrifice fly to center scored A.J. Ellis with two out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 9, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 22 9:19 PM
- Juan Uribe groundout to short scored Andre Ethier with one out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to second and A.J. Ellis advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 8, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 22 9:18 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to center scored Hanley Ramirez with none out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 7, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 22 9:13 PM
- Andre Ethier double play groundout to the pitcher scored Adrian Gonzalez. Hanley Ramirez out at second. None on with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 22 8:38 PM
- Mark DeRosa single to right scored Adam Lind with two out. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Colby Rasmus due up.
Dodgers 5, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 22 8:25 PM
- Melky Cabrera single to center scored Edwin Encarnacion with two out. On the play, Adam Lind advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mark DeRosa due up.
Dodgers 5, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 22 8:22 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to center scored Andre Ethier with none out. Runner on first with none out and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 5, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 22 8:01 PM
- Yasiel Puig single to center scored Mark Ellis with two out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 22 7:40 PM
- Carl Crawford single to center scored Juan Uribe with two out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third on Colby Rasmus throwing error. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 22 7:40 PM
- A.J. Ellis one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Andre Ethier. Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 22 7:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22