Morales, Zunino belt homers for streaking M'sJul 23, 2013 - 6:54 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Aaron Harang threw seven strong innings and the Seattle Mariners got homers from Kendrys Morales and Mike Zunino to win their season-high seventh straight game, 2-1 over the Cleveland Indians.
Harang (5-8) gave up four hits, including a first-inning homer to Nick Swisher, but the right-hander bounced back from a brutal July 10 performance against the Red Sox. Harang yielded eight hits and seven runs in that contest, but on Monday the veteran retired the final nine men he faced.
The last time these teams met, Cleveland swept a four-game set at Progressive Field, May 17-20.
The Indians nearly rallied to send the game into extra innings Monday, but Tom Wilhelmsen stranded Michael Brantley at third by retiring Lonnie Chisenhall on a fly ball to right field. Wilhelmsen, who blew a save in the final game of that May series thanks to a ninth-inning error, gave up a double to Brantley with one out. Following a groundout, Jason Giambi walked prior to Wilhelmsen notching his 22nd save of the year.
Mariners manager Eric Wedge suffered a dizzy spell during batting practice and was taken to a local hospital as a precaution. He is expected to return for Tuesday's game.
"It shocked all of us, but preparation was the same," acting manager Robby Thompson said. "It's nice to get a 'W.'"
Ubaldo Jimenez (7-5) surrendered five hits, four walks and a pair of runs over 5 2/3 innings to lose for the first time in eight starts.
"We're not rolling, but are pitching thankfully is keeping us in games," said Indians manager Terry Francona. "Our pitching keeps pitching like this, we're going to be just fine."
The Indians, losers in three of their last four games, came into Monday not allowing a homer in 85 consecutive innings. That stretch ended in the fourth when Morales led off with a blast to right field, barely inside the right field foul pole.
An inning later, also in a leadoff situation, Zunino went deep to left.
Swisher belted his 10th homer of the year, a shot to left-center, with only one out in the game.
Charlie Furbush hit Michael Bourn with a pitch in the eighth, but Bourn was caught trying to steal second.
Jimenez, who made his 200th MLB appearance, suffered his first loss since June 7 at Detroit ... The Indians are 12-3 against teams from the A.L. West ... Mariners right fielder Michael Saunders went 0-for-3 and had his career-high 10-game hitting streak broken.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Jul 23 12:46 AM
- Mike Zunino lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Dustin Ackley due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 22 11:31 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Kyle Seager due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 22 11:17 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left center. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 22 10:16 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 10:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21