Ninth-inning rally sees Yanks top RangersJul 24, 2013 - 6:30 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Eduardo Nunez tripled home the game-tying run before scoring the go-ahead tally on Brent Lillibridge's single in the ninth, as the New York Yankees rallied past the Texas Rangers, 5-4, Tuesday in the second tilt of a four-game set.
New York trailed 4-3 heading into its final at-bat, but Vernon Wells worked a one-out walk to give the Yankees their first baserunner since the fourth inning.
Wells moved to second when Texas closer Joe Nathan (1-1) uncorked a wild pitch before scoring easily on Nunez's triple to center that landed just over the glove of a leaping Craig Gentry.
"The only thing I wish I could take back is that pitch that I slipped on," said Nathan. "That was a big pitch in the inning that I think if I make a better pitch I'm able to set something up."
Lillibridge followed with a line-drive base hit to left to score Nunez for the deciding run.
"When you come here as the new guy you just want to make the plays and do your job," said Lillibridge. "I just didn't want to make waves until I settled in. Tonight was nice and it made me really happy to be able to contribute that way."
Mariano Rivera then retired the Rangers in order in the ninth to nail down his 32nd save of the season for the Yankees, who had lost five of their last six coming into the contest.
Joba Chamberlain (2-0) was awarded the victory after spinning a 1-2-3 eighth.
Mitch Moreland launched a two-run homer for the Rangers, who have dropped five of their last six games.
The Yankees jumped on Texas starter Alexi Ogando in the third, as Melky Mesa smacked a leadoff double and scored when Austin Romine followed with a two- bagger of his own down the first-base line. Brett Gardner's single to left put runners on the corners for Ichiro Suzuki, who ripped a sharp single to shortstop to score Romine for a 2-0 edge.
New York tacked on a run in the fourth when Wells smacked a leadoff double, moved to third on a fly out, and scored on Lillibridge's fielder's choice grounder to second to make it 3-0.
New York starter Phil Hughes blanked the Rangers over the first five frames before running into trouble in the sixth.
Nelson Cruz reached on Lillibridge's fielding error at third with one out before Adrian Beltre followed with a double to score Cruz. Beltre moved to third on a groundout and scored when Elvis Andrus came through with a two-out single to right to bring the Rangers within 3-2.
Boone Logan then took over for Hughes and quickly gave up the lead, as Moreland launched Logan's second offering over the wall in center to give Texas a 4-3 lead.
Ogando, who was activated off the 15-day disabled list prior to the game, gave up three runs on six hits over five frames ... Hughes was charged for three unearned runs on four hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings ... Texas pitcher Matt Garza, who the Rangers acquired from the Chicago Cubs Monday, is expected to start Wednesday's contest ... New York finished 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position while the Rangers went 1-for-8 with RISP.
- NEW YORK: 5
Jul 23 11:09 PM
- Brent Lillibridge single to left scored Eduardo Nunez with one out. Runner on first and Melky Mesa due up.
Yankees 5, Rangers 4 Top 9, 1 OutJul 23 10:53 PM
- Eduardo Nunez triple to left scored Vernon Wells with one out. Runner on third and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Yankees 4, Rangers 4 Top 9, 1 OutJul 23 10:52 PM
- Mitch Moreland two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Elvis Andrus. Craig Gentry due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 23 10:03 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to right scored Adrian Beltre with two out. Runner on first and Mitch Moreland due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 23 9:59 PM
- Adrian Beltre double to center scored Nelson Cruz with one out. Runner on second and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 23 9:55 PM
- Brent Lillibridge reached first on a fielder's choice scoring Vernon Wells with one out. Runner on first and Melky Mesa due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 23 9:14 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki infield single to short scored Austin Romine with none out. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to second. Runners on first and second and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 23 8:49 PM
- Austin Romine double to right scored Melky Mesa with none out. Runner on second and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 1, Rangers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 23 8:44 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22