Twins score seven in tenth to beat the AngelsJul 24, 2013 - 6:26 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Herrmann's grand slam capped a seven-run 10th inning as the Minnesota Twins took a 10-3 victory over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the second of three games.
Ryan Doumit drove in the go-ahead run in the frame and Pedro Florimon later hit a two-run home run for the Twins, who have won six of seven.
"This is what we've been waiting for all year," said Doumit. "We're getting timely hitting, we're playing great defense, and we're getting great pitching."
Glen Perkins (2-0) grabbed the win despite blowing the save in the ninth, while starter Kyle Gibson gave up two runs on five hits over six innings.
Mark Trumbo and Albert Pujols hit solo home runs for the Angels, who have lost three straight and six of eight.
Tommy Hanson gave up just one run on four hits with eight strikeouts over 5 1/3 frames, while Ernesto Frieri (0-2) was pounded for five runs in the 10th to take the loss.
Minnesota gave up a one-run lead in the ninth, but went back on top in a big way in the 10th.
With two on and no outs, Doumit punched a single to center for the lead. Clete Thomas later walked to load the bags and Herrmann crushed a pitch over the wall in right-center for a grand slam. Later in the frame, Florimon crushed a two-run homer for a 10-3 advantage.
"It's hard to believe that I got my first grand slam," said Herrmann. "It was an inside cutter and I really got a good swing on it."
The Angels went down quietly in the bottom of the 10th.
Minnesota took the initial lead in the game as Florimon doubled with two outs in the third and came home when Brain Dozier followed with a single, but the Angels took the lead in the fourth.
Pujols quickly tied the game as he led off the frame with his 17th homer of the season, a blast to center, and Trumbo gave the Angels a 2-1 lead with two outs on his 22nd home run of the year, a shot to right.
The Twins, though, tied the game in the seventh inning. With Dane De La Rosa on the mound, Thomas led off with a single and Herrmann followed with a basehit. A sac bunt from Aaron Hicks moved both runners up and Florimon brought home Thomas with a groundout.
In the eighth, Justin Morneau singled with one out off of Kevin Jepsen. Doumit then punched a double to right and Morneau came all the way home, sliding around the tag at the plate, for a 3-2 lead.
However, the Angels were able to tie the game in the ninth inning on a bases loaded walk from Erick Aybar that scored Tommy Field. J.B. Shuck hit into a 4-6-3 double play to send the game to extra innings.
The Twins have won all four games against the Angels this season ... Angels center fielder Mike Trout extended his hitting streak to 15 games with a 2-for-5 performance ... The Angels batted 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 10
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 24 1:50 AM
- Pedro Florimon one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Aaron Hicks. Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 10, Angels 3 Top 10, 1 OutJul 24 1:36 AM
- Chris Herrmann one-out, Grand Slam (2) to right center scored Justin Morneau, Ryan Doumit and Clete Thomas. Aaron Hicks due up.
Twins 8, Angels 3 Top 10, 1 OutJul 24 1:31 AM
- Ryan Doumit double to left scored Jamey Carroll with none out. On the play, Justin Morneau advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 4, Angels 3 Top 10, 0 OutsJul 24 1:26 AM
- Erick Aybar walk scored Tommy Field with one out. Bases loaded and J.B. Shuck due up.
Twins 3, Angels 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 24 1:13 AM
- Ryan Doumit double to right scored Justin Morneau with one out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advanced to third on the throw home. Runner on third and Chris Colabello due up.
Twins 3, Angels 2 Top 8, 1 OutJul 24 12:36 AM
- Pedro Florimon ground out short to first scored Clete Thomas with two out. On the play, Chris Herrmann advanced to third. Runner on third and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 2, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 24 12:16 AM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (22) to right. Hank Conger due up.
Twins 1, Angels 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 23 11:16 PM
- Albert Pujols lead-off Home Run (17) to center. Howie Kendrick due up.
Twins 1, Angels 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 23 11:12 PM
- Brian Dozier single to center scored Pedro Florimon with two out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Twins 1, Angels 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 23 10:52 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22