Mariners clip IndiansJul 24, 2013 - 5:17 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Erasmo Ramirez pitched into the sixth inning for his second major league win, and the Seattle Mariners took advantage of a crucial base-running mistake by the Cleveland Indians in the ninth inning to hold on for a 4-3 victory.
Kyle Seager had three hits and an RBI for the Mariners, who extended their season-high winning streak to eight games.
The 23-year-old Ramirez (1-0), who missed the start of the season due to an elbow injury and put in some work in the minor leagues before getting recalled on July 11, allowed eight hits and three runs over 5 2/3 frames.
All of the game's runs were scored over the first three innings, but the Indians had a golden opportunity to tie the game in the ninth against Tom Wilhelmsen. Mark Reynolds and Lonnie Chisenhall singled to put runners at the corners with nobody out.
Yan Gomes then grounded a ball to Seager at third, who threw to second baseman Nick Franklin for the force play. Pinch-runner Drew Stubbs strayed off third and was caught in a rundown before being tagged out by Seager. Michael Bourn was caught looking at strike three on a full count to end the game, as Wilhelmsen nailed down his 23rd save of the year.
"A great job by those guys hanging in there. Nick's eyes were on Stubbs, who got himself hung up there," Mariners interim manager Robby Thompson said.
Indians starter Zach McAllister (4-6), who was activated off the 15-day disabled list earlier in the day, allowed eight hits and four runs -- three earned -- over five innings.
"I thought he had a very good changeup and kept his composure. We're making him throw a lot of pitches. I thought he did a very good job," Indians manager Terry Francona said.
The Indians, losers in four of their last five games, got a two-run homer from Gomes in the second inning.
That occurred after the team's exchanged runs in the first with Asdrubal Cabrera singling in one in the top half and Seager stroking an RBI double in the bottom portion.
The Mariners went ahead with three runs in the third. Raul Ibanez and Kendrys Morales had back-to-back doubles to start the inning.Seager singled, and with one out Michael Saunders doubled. Seager scored on a wild pitch and Saunders came home with the go-ahead tally on Mike Zunino's single to right.
The Mariners were again without manager Eric Wedge, who also missed Monday's game after a bout with dizziness ... The Indians opened a roster spot for McAllister by optioning pitcher C.C. Lee to Columbus (IL) ... The Mariners had homered in 16 straight games at Safeco Field.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Jul 24 12:55 AM
- Mike Zunino single to right scored Michael Saunders with two out. Runner on first and Dustin Ackley due up.
Indians 3, Mariners 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 23 11:24 PM
- Kyle Seager scored on a wild pitch by Zach McAllister with two out. Michael Saunders advances to third. Runner on third and Mike Zunino at the plate.
Indians 3, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 23 11:24 PM
- Kendrys Morales ground-rule double to left-center scored Raul Ibanez with none out. Runner on second and Kyle Seager due up.
Indians 3, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 23 11:15 PM
- Yan Gomes two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Lonnie Chisenhall. Michael Bourn due up.
Indians 3, Mariners 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 23 10:42 PM
- Kyle Seager double to right scored Nick Franklin with two out. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 23 10:32 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to center scored Jason Kipnis with two out. Runner on first and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 23 10:16 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 10:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21