Weaver, Angels silence Twins and avoid sweepJul 24, 2013 - 11:57 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver tossed eight scoreless innings and Albert Pujols drove in the lone run in the first inning, as Los Angeles nipped Minnesota, 1-0, in the finale of a three-game set.
Weaver (5-5) yielded only two hits and one walk while striking out nine batters for the Angels, who avoided a sweep and halted a three-game losing streak.
Ernesto Frieri stranded runners on the corners in the ninth inning, and picked up his 25th save.
Mike Pelfrey (4-8) was the hard-luck loser, scattering five hits and one run over six strong innings for the Twins, who suffered their second loss in the last eight.
"Mike gave us a great chance to win, but Jared kept us off balance. We just couldn't find a way to score," noted Twins manager Ron Gardenhire.
Frieri walked Clete Thomas to kick off the final frame and hit Doug Bernier. Justin Morneau then grounded into a double play. Frieri let his pop fly to the mound drop then threw to first, and following that, Bernier was caught in a rundown between first and second before being tagged out. Thomas, though, was allowed to reach third.
Ryan Doumit also drew a walk, but Frieri recovered to fan Chris Herrmann and end the contest.
"I felt good the whole outing. Frieri came in and closed the door," Weaver said. "I think I would have gone to a different base to begin with, but it worked out."
The Angels provided Weaver all the offense he needed during their first turn at the plate. J.B. Shuck singled to start the frame, stole second and came in on a Pujols base hit.
Weaver, who tossed a no-hitter last season against the Twins, allowed a Bernier single in the first, walked Doumit in the seventh and gave up a single to Aaron Hicks in the eighth.
Pelfrey, on the other hand, retired seven in a row and eight of nine after Pujols, and did not allow a runner past second from there for the remainder of his outing.
Weaver improved to 4-1 with a 1.32 ERA over his last six starts ... Prior to the contest, the Twins placed catcher Joe Mauer on the paternity list and recalled catcher Drew Butera from Triple-A Rochester ... Also before the game, the Halos announced the claim of pitcher J.C. Gutierrez off waivers from the Kansas City Royals.
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 24 6:23 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to center scoring J.B. Shuck. Runner on first with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Twins 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 24 4:00 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 3:39 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22