Price, Rays bedevil sliding Red SoxJul 25, 2013 - 5:41 AM
Price (5-5) scattered five hits and a Mike Napoli homer, needing only 97 pitches to finish his third complete game of the season.
James Loney, Luke Scott and Jose Molina drove in a run each for the Rays, who closed the gap in the AL East to a half-game once more thanks to their 17th win in 20 July contests.
"We're playing good baseball. Regardless of what it says on the other jersey, we're playing well," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Felix Doubront (7-4) worked 6 2/3 innings, allowing six hits and three runs for the Red Sox, who have dropped five of their last seven.
Napoli cleared the seats above the Green Monster with one out in the seventh to pull the Sox within 3-1, but the Rays countered with two more in the eighth on back-to-back RBI singles from Loney and Molina.
Price then set down the final eight Boston batters in turn to complete his outing.
"He threw some pitches we could have hit, but we just didn't do it," Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia said.
Tampa broke through in the third, after loading the bases with one out on two singles, an error and a sacrifice.
Myers dumped a two-run hit to center, then stole second while Ben Zobrist stole third, and the latter came in on a Scott sacrifice fly.
Myers has collected at least two hits in each of his last six games ... Prior to the contest, the Sox made it official with second baseman Dustin Pedroia, signing him to an eight-year contract beginning in 2014 and continuing through the 2021 season. The deal is reportedly worth $110 million. Pedroia had been signed for 2014 at $10 million under his old deal.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Jul 24 10:13 PM
- Jose Molina single to left scored Sean Rodriguez. On the play, James Loney advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 24 9:48 PM
- James Loney single to right scored Luke Scott. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 24 9:44 PM
- Mike Napoli one-out, solo Home Run (14) to left. Jonny Gomes due up.
Rays 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 24 9:26 PM
- Luke Scott sacrifice fly to left scored Ben Zobrist. Runner on second with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 24 8:04 PM
- Wil Myers single to center scored Desmond Jennings and Evan Longoria. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 24 8:03 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21