Angels open series with win over A'sJul 26, 2013 - 6:52 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Albert Pujols went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored as the LA Angels of Anaheim took an 8-3 win over the Oakland Athletics to open a four-game set.
Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo each drove in two while J.B. Shuck scored three runs for the Angels, who have won their past two. C.J. Wilson (11-6) won his third straight start as he gave up three runs on five hits with three walks and six strikeouts over seven innings.
"We'll take eight runs any way they come," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "If we have one hitter hitting two grand slams and that's the only two hits we get, we'll take it. But I think the depth of our lineup is important. I think we had everybody contributing tonight, and that's nice."
Derek Norris went 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI for the Athletics, who came into the game having won three of four. Dan Straily (6-4) was touched for five runs on seven hits with two walks and five strikeouts in 4 1/3 innings.
"I thought I had some pretty good command with the ball tonight," said Straily. "But later in the game they were able to get some good swings on the ball. They're aggressive hitters and they swing at a lot of pitches."
Pujols' RBI single in the third pushed across the first run of the game, but Oakland went on top in the fourth as Yoenis Cespedes scored on a wild pitch and a single from Norris scored Chris Young, who had doubled in the previous at-bat.
The Angels went back on top in the fifth thanks to a four-run frame.
Erick Aybar led off with a walk and Shuck singled. Trout's sac fly scored the first run of the frame, and Pujols followed with a single. Josh Hamilton then plated a run with a single and Trumbo followed with a two-run double for a 5-2 lead.
The Angels padded their lead further in the sixth as a Jesse Chavez wild pitch scored Hank Conger, and Trout and Pujols added RBI singles later in the frame for an 8-2 lead.
Norris' solo homer to left-center in the bottom of the sixth accounted for the final score as the A's managed just one baserunner in the final three innings.
Despite the loss, the A's still lead the season series, 6-4 ... LA batted 6- for-11 with runners in scoring position, while the A's were just 1-for-9 and stranded six ... Straily fell to 1-2 in five games against the Angels ... Wilson has three wins in four starts against the A's this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Jul 26 1:19 AM
- Derek Norris two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 26 12:37 AM
- Albert Pujols singled to left scored J.B. Shuck. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 26 12:28 AM
- Mike Trout singled to right scored Erick Aybar. On the play, J.B. Shuck advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 7, Athletics 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 26 12:23 AM
- Jesse Chavez wild pitch scored Hank Conger, J.B. Shuck advances to second, Erick Aybar advances to third. Runners on second and third and with none out and Mike Trout at the plate.
Angels 6, Athletics 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 26 12:19 AM
- Mark Trumbo doubled to left center scored Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton. Runner on second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutJul 25 11:58 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to right center scored J.B. Shuck. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutJul 25 11:56 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly to right scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with one out and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 2 Top 5, 1 OutJul 25 11:49 PM
- Derek Norris singled to left scored Chris Young. Runner on second with one out as Norris advances to second on the throw home and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 11:32 PM
- C.J. Wilson wild pitch scored Yoenis Cespedes. None on with one out and Chris Young at the plate.
Angels 1, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 11:27 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to center scored J.B. Shuck. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 25 10:56 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22