Iwakuma, Mariners down TwinsJul 26, 2013 - 6:55 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Hisashi Iwakuma tossed six shutouts innings as the Seattle Mariners cruised to an 8-2 win over the Minnesota Twins in the opener of a four-game set at Safeco Field.
Iwakuma (10-4) scattered four hits and a walk while fanning nine to pick up his third straight win.
Nick Franklin hit a three-run homer and Dustin Ackley had three hits, including a pair of doubles, and two RBI for the Mariners, who have gone 6-1 since the All-Star break.
"He did a great job throughout the entire game," Franklin said of Iwakuma. "I think if we could just start making the defensive plays we can get out of innings earlier."
Chris Herrmann and Doug Bernier each had an RBI double in the ninth inning for the Twins, who have dropped two straight games.
Kevin Correia (7-7) was tagged for six runs on seven hits over just 1 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"This is obviously my worst start of the year. A couple balls got through the hole and I made a few bad pitches after that. They just hammered them," said Correia.
Seattle exploded for six runs in the second inning. With two on and one out, Mike Zunino ripped a single to left to score Kyle Seager. Ackley followed with an RBI base hit before Brad Miller smacked a double to center to score Zunino. Franklin's three-run homer, a towering shot to right-center, made it 6-0.
The Mariners tacked on two more in the fifth. Michael Saunders reached on a two-out single then scored on Henry Blanco's two-bagger to center. Ackley followed with a double off the wall in center to push Blanco across.
The Twins finally broke through for a pair of runs in the ninth, but it wasn't nearly enough. Pedro Florimon singled then moved to second on defensive indifference. Herrmann laced a double to center to score Florimon and Bernier followed with a double off the wall in left-center to account for the final margin.
Seattle was 6-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... The Mariners have won nine of their last 10 games ... Iwakuma hasn't lost since July 4 ... Minnesota went 3-for-10 with RISP and left 11 runners on base ... Correia is just 1-3 over his last six starts.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Jul 26 1:14 AM
- Doug Bernier double to left scored Chris Herrmann with two outs. Runner on second and Drew Butera due up.
Twins 2, Mariners 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 26 1:12 AM
- Chris Herrmann double to center scored Pedro Florimon with two outs. Runner on second and Doug Bernier due up.
Twins 1, Mariners 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 26 1:09 AM
- Dustin Ackley double to center scored Henry Blanco with two outs. Runner on second and Brad Miller due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 26 12:06 AM
- Henry Blanco double to center scored Michael Saunders with two outs. Runner on second and Dustin Ackley due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 26 12:02 AM
- Nick Franklin one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right center scored Dustin Ackley and Brad Miller. Raul Ibanez due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 6 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 25 10:50 PM
- Brad Miller double to center scored Mike Zunino with one out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to third. Runners on second and third and Nick Franklin due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 25 10:47 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to right scored Justin Smoak with one out. On the play, Mike Zunino advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brad Miller due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 25 10:46 PM
- Mike Zunino single to left scored Kyle Seager with one out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dustin Ackley due up.
Twins 0, Mariners 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 25 10:45 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 10:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21