Colon continues winning ways, A's down AngelsJul 27, 2013 - 5:45 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Bartolo Colon is continuing to prove this season that age isn't a factor in winning ball games.
The 40-year-old right-hander pitched six strong innings to help the Oakland Athletics to a 6-4 win over the Angels in the continuation of a four-game series.
Colon (14-3) gave up seven hits, including a two-run homer to Mike Trout in the first inning, but won for the 11th time in his last 12 decisions. He moved to 8-0 in nine starts against AL West teams and has a nine-game winning streak against divisional foes, last losing July 17, 2012 against Texas.
Coming off his third shutout of the year Sunday in Anaheim, Colon again dominated the Angels and moved to 12-6 lifetime against them. Colon, who pitched for the Angels from 2004-07, has surpassed Don Sutton's record of 13 wins in a season in which he turns 40-years-old. The only Athletic with more wins in that situation is Jack Quinn. He had 18 in 1928 and 15 in 1927.
Jed Lowrie went 3-for-4 with a homer and drove in three runs. Stephen Vogt added a two-run shot for the AL West leaders, who bounced back from an 8-3 loss Thursday. They moved four games ahead of Texas in the division, the largest lead for the A's this season.
Jerome Williams (5-7) surrendered six hits and four runs over five innings to drop his fifth consecutive decision, as the Angels lost for the seventh time in 11 games.
Jerry Blevins issued a pair of walks in the ninth inning and Albert Pujols singled down the left field line to drive in two runs off closer Grant Balfour. Josh Hamilton struck out to end the game. That gave Balfour his 27th save.
J.B. Shuck singled to start the game and then Trout homered to left-center on a 3-1 pitch.
"I don't think stuff like that bothers him early in the game. He bounced back nicely," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Colon.
Lowrie, who entered the game in a 4-for-36 slump, went deep to right-center in the bottom of the first.
Eric Sogard singled in Josh Reddick in the second. Coco Crisp single, stole second and Lowrie followed with a two-run base hit to right past a diving Mark Trumbo.
"We just couldn't overcome Jerome not being able to get out of the second inning," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Then he settled in and gave us three strong innings, but those guys kept playing and got some home runs that got us down."
Vogt homered to right with Reddick aboard in the sixth.
The last major leaguer with at least 13 wins in a season of age 40 or higher is Jamie Moyer in 2008 (16) ... Colon is 8-1 following an A's loss this year and has won each of his last seven decisions in those situations ... Angels pitcher Kevin Jepsen, who celebrated his 29th birthday Friday, threw a scoreless eighth inning.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Jul 27 1:20 AM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Chris Iannetta and Tommy Field with two out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 4, Athletics 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 27 1:15 AM
- Stephen Vogt one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Josh Reddick. Eric Sogard due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 27 12:13 AM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Eric Sogard and Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on first and Josh Donaldson due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 26 10:50 PM
- Eric Sogard single to center scored Josh Reddick with two out. Runner on first and Coco Crisp due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 26 10:46 PM
- Jed Lowrie one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Josh Donaldson due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 26 10:23 PM
- Mike Trout none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left center scored J.B. Shuck. Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 26 10:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22