Indians' Masterson outduels DarvishJul 28, 2013 - 3:43 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Justin Masterson pitched into the eighth inning as the Cleveland Indians took a 1-0 win over the Texas Rangers in the second of a three-game series.
Masterson (12-7) won his second straight start as he gave up five hits and a walk with eight strikeouts over 7 2/3 innings. Michael Bourn's home run accounted for the only run of the game to help the Indians win a third straight game.
"Any time you pitch a game like that it's a humbling experience because there were a lot of groundballs and the guys behind me made a lot of nice plays tonight," said Masterson.
Yu Darvish (9-5) was the hard-luck loser as he was charged for just the one run on three hits with four walks and 11 strikeouts over six innings. Engel Beltre had two of the five hits for the Rangers, who have dropped eight of their last 10.
"After that home run they just couldn't hit him," said Texas manager Ron Washington about Darvish. "He was controlling the game, but we just couldn't do much at the plate."
The only run of this game came on the second pitch of Cleveland's first at-bat as Bourn drilled a 1-0 cutter over the right field wall for his fourth home run of the season.
Masterson's toughest inning was the fifth as Geovany Soto singled with one out, Ian Kinsler was hit by a pitch two batters later, and Beltre singled to load the bases. Nelson Cruz, though, hit a grounder to short for the forceout at second.
After setting the Rangers down in order in the sixth and seventh, Masterson got the first two outs of the eighth before stepping aside after Cruz singled.
Joe Smith, though, got Adrian Beltre to fly out and Chris Perez pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his 14th save of the season.
It was the 13th shutout of the season for the Indians ... Cleveland has won four of the five games against Texas this season ... The Rangers have been blanked seven times this year.
- TEXAS: 0
Jul 27 9:42 PM
- Michael Bourn lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Nick Swisher due up.
Rangers 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 27 7:17 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 7:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22